Catalytic Converters for NA imports - are they needed?!

Hi,
I’m running a 1994 NA Eunos. Imported from Japan in 2016.

And I’m constantly debating with various MOT testers about the need for a catalytic converter.

Would really appreciate other people’s experience and knowledge on this topic?

From the MOT handbook directly it states the below, which makes me believe it should do a non-CAT emissions test. (And that has been done on previous MOT’s, but some garages refuse to do this).

Blockquote

“Personal imports

A personal import must be tested according to its date of first use. However, if you’re shown a letter from the vehicle manufacturer proving that the engine does not meet British emission standards you must test to the next lower emission standard.

For example, a 1995 car first used in Gambia with a letter from the engine manufacturer stating the engine number and showing that the engine cannot meet catalyst emission limits, you must use the non-cat limits of carbon monoxide (CO) 3.5% and hydrocarbons (HC) 1,200ppm.”

Source: MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - 8. Nuisance - Guidance - GOV.UK o

1 Like

Furthermore - forgot to add this :sweat_smile:

When I then look up my VIN in the In Service Exhaust Emission standards it’s not there.

Even if I look up Mazda MX5 instead of Eunos.

I’m an NA8C…. VIN. If I recall the ‘NA1…’ numbers were for European models only.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/676700/in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-19th-edition.pdf

I’m interested in any responses to this, I have a 95 Eunos with NA8 engine. Imported in 2006, first registered in Japan in Feb 95.

2 Likes

Mine was an G plate Eunos, imported in 2000. It had a straight pipe where the cat should have been.
I never had any problems passing the MOT. Just had a smoke test and CO2.

3 Likes

Pre-1992 is automatically exempt from what I’ve read. :+1:

From what I’ve read - like the flow diagram, first used before 01 August 1995 is the cut off.

But like I said, I’ve got all this info to hand and still had garages try and argue with me that I need to do emissions tests with a Cat… :confounded:

The mistake most testers make is they try it as an MX-5 It is not an MX-5 it is a Eunos Roadster and needs testing as an “Unlisted Import”

1 Like

I think this is definitely often an issue! I don’t understand why the testing station doesn’t just ask for the VIN! I’m fed up of having to argue about it now, and starting to feel like - am I wrong?! But all my research suggests I’m not :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi

A 1994 car needs to have a cat test unless of course like a eunos there is no data listed in the data base which there isnt so you carry out a non cat test @ co<3.5% and HC < 1200ppm
Ask the tester that you go to , to follow Chart 2. Emissions limits of passenger cars first used on or after 1 August 1992 which you already have
The key is its not a MX5 its a Eunos .

By the way i have been an MOT tester for 30yrs so i am not guessing :slight_smile:

As an addition next time bring your V5 with you where it will state eunos in the vehicle details .

1 Like

Thanks Paul! Really appreciate your response.

So my V5 does actually say Mazda MX5, but I’ve got a letter from Mazda directly to get this updated to Eunos.

The VIN is very clearly not listed in the passenger cars that need to do the cat test.

I will make sure next time I take full documentation with me. I always inform them it’s an import but then they often argue with me about the testing. :woman_facepalming:

Thanks!

I’ve just checked my documents, v5 says mx5, all MOT certificates say mx5 - all bar the first one which does say Eunos.
But I still have all of the imports documentation.

If you write to Mazda with your VIN they can write you a letter for the DVLA to get it changed. They’re super friendly and helpful, I’ve just not sent it off yet as you need to send your v5 with it.

For me at the end of the day, the VIN is very clearly an import and not on the inclusion list for anything other than non-cat emissions, but testers seem to think I’m pulling their leg.

A 1994 Roadster does not need to pass a cat test and that also means it’s not required to have a cat for its MOT, because checking for the presence of a cat is part of the cat test.

All K-reg, L-reg and M-reg Roadsters are similarly exempt from cat tests although the equivalent MX-5s are not exempt.

It really doesn’t matter what your car’s V5C says about the model name as the MOT won’t be based on what the V5C says. It’ll be based on the model as defined by the “VDS Code” as shown in the picture in the second post.

The emissions book that pic comes from explains the VDS Code is the 4th to 9th character of the car’s VIN. For an MX-5 VIN that will produce one of the listed codes. For a Eunos Roadster (with its different format of VIN) it will produce gibberish instead. So the car is not a listed model.

The emissions book also explains that all cars whose codes are listed and were registered first used on or after 1st August 1992 (start of K-reg) should get a full cat test. But it also says that cars whose codes are not listed (which of course includes Eunos Roadsters) and were registered first used before 1st August 1995 (end of M-reg) should receive a non-cat test.

Now the problem is persuading the MOT tester you’re not pulling his leg.

If the car has previously been incorrectly MOT’d as an MX-5 then his computer will probably load up that wrong data again. You can print out and highlight the couple of bits in the Emissions book about the cars from this 3-year transition period which are exempt, but the only time I’ve needed to be assertive about it he was doubtful till I suggested he phone his VOSA rep (or whatever they’re called now - DVSA?). He did, and the VOSA representative was happy to reassure him it’s true.

(On re-reading the thread I realise I/m telling you stuff you already know, but maybe it helps to have more confirmation you’re right. Anyway, I do recommend the option of gently suggesting they ring their DVSA contact and ask.)

1 Like

Our MK 1 imports all have de cats fitted, one because it opens the door on wasted power thats being choked and two because if its not there ,then there is no temptation for the opportunist cat thief’s to nick it , never had any issues with MOT’s once the MOT’er as been educated that they need to be tested as a import “NOT” an Mx-5.
Our MK 2’s have them also to stop the light fingered thief’s , but we fit the OE cats two weeks before MOT and then swap them back out .
M-m

1 Like

Thank you!!

I really appreciate the response because I honestly started to think I was going mad due to how insistent the testers have been with me.

I will definitely print out and take extra documentation with me.
It’s great to have confirmation from others so I know I’m not misreading the rules! :relaxed:

Thank you!

As testers our data base is on the Gas analyser these days as the VDS hasnt been updated since 2018 and is not a live document as the manuals etc are even thou The vds still exists and can be used obviously Most if not all testers i know will revert to the Gas analyser data base
The data for an eunos is not on the Exhaust gas analyser data but some testers as the OP is experiencing are ill informed regarding some vehicles and know best
Real documentation ends the argument immediately whether its a V5 or Import documentation proving the cars make and model
The vehicle should be entered correctly and as it doesnt exist on the EGA data base default limits come into play .

2 Likes

Simplest solution, just take it to @Paul20v for the next MOT test :wink:

1 Like

Sorted LOL

1 Like

We just need to know where Paul20v is based now…