Central heating boilers

I need advice on the best oil system boiler to give me hot water for washing etc plus hot water for the radiators. I am replacing an oil combi boiler that did the job when it was running ok but I had frequent problems with it breaking down and /or cutting out. Lots of the time the reset buttons wouldn’t work when it cut out on its own.
I would like some ideas what to replace it with. Are Grant combi boilers a good make etc. Or should I fit a system that heats water into a large cylinder and also provide hot water for central heating. The cylinder will have to have an imersion heater fitted too, I think.
I don’t know anything much about oil boilers and I keep getting conflicting advice from different plumbers that I speak to. I can’t decidewhat to do and when estimates I have had are in the region of £7,300 I start to panic a bit.

We have an external Grant Vortex 26e Combi which was put in 8 years ago, we took out the hot water tank and the cold water header tank at the time.

Use an approved installer and you should be able to get up to 10 years warranty which is definitely worth having, you can search through the Grant website to find an approved one.

It seems most things which are modern and include significant electronics will break down, usually the fix is a part substitution, of course this comes with a cost each time hence having a good warranty is important.

The boiler is 96% efficient, most modern boilers are. Depending on the size you need I’d expect around £2 - £3K for the boiler plus installation.

Personally I think your quotes are rather high in my opinion.
Family members and others I know use Worcester Bosch oil Combi Boilers.
Various online quotes would quote an average 3 bed house for “around” £4K as an estimate.
Obviously, depending where you live etc etc.
Try the attached link and see where you go.
Other online quotes available via Google too.
That’s how I found my new boiler (albeit gas), but same principles.
Obviously select oil as you go through the process.
Nothing to loose.:+1:

Also…
https://boilerteam.co.uk/oil-boiler-replacement/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=&utm_content=new%20oil%20combi%20boiler_p_m_&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8eqBhD3ARIsAIe-buOnKgcI0kKQ61ze_ryodrW0UsnTz1RLtJmOEmsNd6e2oDT918Owtn4aAr1LEALw_wcB

I have an external Worcester Bosch Oil boiler.

Took out the water tanks…no regrets at all.

Mine cost about £5k 4 years ago

Hi Everyone.
I have finaly got my new boiler sorted. I decided on an internal Grant 26Kw oil combi to replace the Worcester that we have had for the last 15 years. The plumber was ok about me buying the boiler, from a local builders merchants and getting a decent discount on it by getting it thro my son who had an account with them. The boiler and all the bits needed to get the 10 year garuantee has cost me £3,300. The fitting and comisioning of the boiler will be about £500 if I pay them cash, which is a lot less than having the hot water container system etc that was quoted as £7200.
All being well it should last me for the rest of my life.

2 Likes

Glad you got it sorted.
Not a bad guess for the around 4k :wink::+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.