Ceramic body coating

Hi , just wanted to ask if any members have had their vehicles ceramic coated or have any experience in that area , thinking of getting my mk2 coated but it’s certainly not cheap so wondering if the cost is worth the end result , or just carry on with the old fashioned wash and wax . Thanks

Personally, I have always washed and waxed every car I have owned. The cost alone puts me off and as I enjoy the hands-on approach.

2 Likes

I had my BMW e30 ceramic coated last August. Combined this with full paint correction and internal and engine bay detailing, so yes it wasn’t cheap. I had the glass and alloys coated as well. The paintwork has an amazing depth of shine now. It really seems to repel dirt and dust amazingly well and appears to protect the paintwork amazingly well. I’ve been caught out unexpectedly in the rain a couple of times and I wasn’t left with any marks or smears. On the alloys any brake dust just wipes off with a clean cloth which is great. Car is garaged and used sparingly and I’ve not had to wash it yet!

Important point is that there isn’t any point applying Ceramic coating to an old car unless the paint is swirl free or machine polished before, as you’re just sealing in the non shiny swirled paint finish.

Could cost anywhere between £300-500 for a machine polish and then ceramic coating. Then when it starts to fails after however many years, you have to machine polish it again to remove it. So it can get pricey.

If you just want to have a go yourself, to give the paint more protection and make it easier to wash, probably worth trying the Turtle Wax Ceramic spray wax or something like Gyeon wet coat, or GTechniq Easy coat. They last for a couple of months and can even be applied to a clean car using a hose pipe.

Some good YouTube videos show how to apply and the great hydrophobic properties they have.

3 Likes

I did mine a month ago, applied to bodywork, glass and alloys for £300, without machine polishing. Decals won’t stick firmly, door guards won’t stick at all. However rain just beads away but salt grits dirt still stays on front bumper

and on wheel arches and back bumper.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.