Change top mounts on NA

1. My model of MX-5 is: NA (1989)
  2. I’m based near: London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:
    The car is now 34 years old and everything looks original. The front feels pretty planted in all honesty, but the back not so much. If I am changing the damper and springs should I also be doing the top mounts too?

If the topmounts are comprised of any rubber parts at all and are original I personally would change them if going to the trouble of replacing the shocks and springs. Rubber hardens, splits and cracks with time so probably worth doing while you’re there.

Over in the US, people see the top mounts collapse with age. Right now, genuine Mazda items are still available for £60, and cheap pattern parts about £30, each.

Unless you have already brought the shocks and springs, I would research about fitting Mk2 shocks, springs and top mount parts. The actual Mk2 top mount is solid metal, and allows for a bit extra travel. Standard Mk2 parts would leave the car riding high, because of the lighter weight of the Mk1, but Mk2 shocks with lowering springs, would be a pretty good combination.

My 1996 Mk1 is on Performance5 Puredrives, which is basically a Protech shock, springs and Mk2 top mount hardware. Lowered a little but still a comfortable ride.