Changing Front Brake Pads Q - ND

Hi folks. I’ve lurked on here for a bit but the MX5 is so reliable I’ve not had much to ask or contribute so far.

The front pads need replacing now (down to 3mm) so I wondered if there were any gotchas before I get the tools out?

I have a set of shiny new Pagid pads complete with shims along with coppaslip and the caliper pin grease. Anything I’m missing (random clips for example) or things to be aware of?

Cheers

I haven’t read about anyone DIY replacing pads on the ND yet so please do write up here when you’re done, pictures too would be fantastic.

For reference look here for diagrams etc: https://www.hexorcism.com/16ND/

1 Like

Thanks for that link - perfect.

The process was exactly as described on this page https://www.hexorcism.com/16ND/sm353004/

The caliper bolts are 14mm

There was no recommendation as to whether to replace the guide plates and outer shims (these don’t come with the pads). Mine looked in good condition so I’ve just cleaned and reused them. I’ll update if that proves a mistake.

The slide pins were mildly seized but a gentle twist freed them and they now move without any issue.

Total time, including cleaning up afterwards. 90 mins.

No photo’s I’m afraid - I got carried away and only remembered at the end!

1 Like

Good to know, I’ll pin/sticky a link to that manual somewhere.

1 Like

These days due to the electrics involved with brakes, it is no longer recommended to use a Copperslip type grease on brakes by the brake manufacturers. The recommended grease on metal to metal brake parts is now a ceramic based grease. Something like Cera Tec grease.

Mazda specifically advise red rubber grease where the slidder pins run in rubber type bushes.

Copperslip type grease causes the rubber bushes to swell and stops the slider pins moving.

1 Like

Useful thoughts Drumochty.

Just for the record though, I used high temp silicone grease on the sliders not copperslip. It isn’t water soluble like red rubber grease so carries on working if water does get through the seal.

Copperslip isn’t actually a “grease” as such, it’s an anti-seize compound, thus not designed for moving parts. The sliders do move, though admittedly not by much!