Chassis Rail

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk1 1.6
  2. I’m based near: North London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:
    Viewing a car tomorrow and it has has chassis rail covers added. What to look for and would this be a concern?

The Meisters and chassis rails indicate someone had an idea of taking the car on a trackday. Paint marks on the alignment bolts indicate an alignment has been done.

The frame rail bracing per se is not a problem, but what is lurking beneath might be. But the car doesnt look rusty

Hi Theo

Car looks very tidy underneath.
Those are not chassis rails but will still fail an MOT if holed with rust. They often get crushed when garages/MOT stations use them as lift points.
Looking at the rest of that underside would expect there to be nothing to worry about. MK1 front chassis rails worth inspection but as they are one thickness metal as opposed to the poorly designed spot welded two piece thickness on the MK2; unlikely to have issue.

Would you leave these on or remove?

Floorpan looks exceptionally clean so given these rails are reputed / designed to add rigidity I’d take a punt and leave them alone in that car’s case.
If the floor had been crusty-rotty-botty as they usually are, I’d have had them out.
Always the possibility they are hiding jacking / grounding / forklift abuses, but I’d be surprised if there was rot.
Opinions differ of course.

Thank you all for the comments, will inspect tomorrow and gauge after seeing the car in the flesh.