Christmas cards arrived! Have yours?

In the slow bicycle race that is the 21st century postal service, our First Class cards sped from Staffordshire to Tyneside in just 23 days. That’s just over 8 miles a day or 0.33 mph.

In fairness, that’s twice as fast as a Galapagos tortoise and seven times faster than a garden snail. So mustn’t grumble.

1 Like

They’ve been on strike, Simon Thompson the CEO is determined to destroy the postal service (Royal Mail) at whatever cost.
Postal workers are determined to save what’s left of a once great service.

Mail deliveries still made during the pandemic yet hundreds were struck down with covid, including my son but he battled on (when able) to get the mail through, usually on time.

I got out 9 years ago as the writing was on the wall then, been downhill ever since.

They want to turn it into an Amazon style delivery service, basically deliver up to 10pm and weekends too.

It won’t be Royal Mail as you have come to know any longer. Love em or loathe em that’s what’s happening if they get the chance to.

Apparently there could be some movement afoot from the union, a peace offering, if the RM want to listen. No more strikes going into the new year, normal service resumed for now, well until the next planned walk outs.

4 Likes

I just received two cards today and still think we’re missing another few and several packages severely delayed. 20+ days for 2nd class mail…go figure. Still, I back the actions that the staff are having to take as it seems that the CEO’s are deliberately inept and I had said back when Royal Mail was sold off that it would end in tears. Not that I have some mystical insight…just always seems to be the case when the government sticks its hands into businesses like this. Greed takes precedence.

I sent a parcel on 16th December, to Missouri, via cheapest Parcelforce service. The Postmaster said it had no chance of arriving before Christmas.

It arrived on the 24th December, despite extreme weather conditions in the region.

For convenience, check the forum rules:

e) There will be no discussion of sex, religion or politics. These subjects are always divisive and always result in the thread being locked.

MickAP and Davy_F. Consider yourselves told off.

1 Like

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

1 Like

I sent a package by Parcelforce 24 on Monday the 19th, to my sister on one of the Scottish Islands. She received it on Thursday the 22nd, which I considered quite good going considering the circumstances. I own Royal Mail shares, but deeply question the motivations of the CEO, Simon Thomson.

As a slight aside, for a number of years I ran a little website which sold just one product, a head gasket sealant. I sold somewhere over 4000 bottles of the stuff. I used Royal Mail. I could count on the fingers of about 1 and a half hands the occasions when a package supposedly went missing in the post. And after a few questions, I surmised that about half of that number were those who were ‘at it’.

Contrast with…
I buy on eBay fairly regularly. In the last 8 months, 6 items were sent to me using either Evri ( Hermes, as was) or Yodel. Of those 6 items, 2 disappeared into the ‘national hub’ , according to the tracking, and were never seen again.

1 Like

*Royal Mail … well, you did mention them . I used to live in a small hamlet on the Moors. In 2010 we had an exceptionally hard winter , with lots of snow . But the road was passable with care. But no post for 2 weeks. We asked why not. ‘Because our employee doesn’t feel safe in snow .’ So why not get the other postie, who collects the post , and is still doing so every day , to bring the post ? Impossible , he comes from another office …

They seem like a tribute act to British Leyland 1975

1 Like

We just received an Invitation to be one of the first people to see what a local furniture store was going to put in to a sale, 21 days after the store had the sale, so we missed out on a new bed I wanted.

Got a Christmas card on Saturday 7th. Posted to Nottinghamshire from Hampshire on 16th December.

Had a card on Saturday posted 10 miles away on December 6th.

Getting a refund on a Christmas present DPD parcel which sat at a depot 6 miles away for 4 weeks. The day after the refund DPD proudly announced that it was on the way back to the retailer, 30 miles away. Many DPD parcels around me were delivered to random addresses within a mile of their destination. Local Facebook pages are full of people exchanging DPD parcels.

^^Amateurs^^😁

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.