Classics on the Common, Harpenden 28th July

http://www.classicsonthecommon.com/

At least 1 MX5 will be on display; mine. For the purposes of this show, it will be a 1989 MY MX5.

Looks like cars will be accumulating from about 3pm onwards.

I usually have a wander round this. Will  say howdy when i see you Thumbs up

Let`s hope it stays dry!

This show takes place literally outside of our office. I haven’t got my 5 here today (I have to drive something else home and don’t like leaving it at the office), but it would be great to say hi. There will be a bunch of us wandering round as one of our colleages from MSN Cars is popping down for lunch as well. Another colleague has his mate’s Merc SEC to park on the green, and we might stick the Panamera on there as well (was supposed to be a GT3 RS but that got canned last minute yesterday due to a broken part). Cars usually start turning up from around lunchtime, judging by previous years…

It’s an eclectic show, with tons of really interesting stuff to see - all for free.

Look for SAZ9961, montego blue, with red leather seats. I may or may not be hanging around the car. The Common opens at 3pm to exhibitors, according to the notes I have received. Hoping the rain holds off Thinking

Cool - will do. Was looking perfect here first thing this morning - brilliant sunshine, the lot. However, the sky is getting greyer by the minute… Huh? Fingers crossed.

The barrier tape is up already - and you’re right, it is supposed to start at 3, but I expect the locals will be looking to get out of here well ahead of then to try and avoid the increased traffic!

Saw the car - but not you! Like the Hesketh Bear sticker; almost everyone in my family has a Hesketh tax disc holder - I’m afraid to use one on the 5 in case someone nicks it…

Did you enjoy the show? Seemed to be some really awesome stuff there - and more was arriving even as I was trying to leave.

Well,  I tried to be with the car 15 mins every hour.

Yes, a good show; 1200 cars apparently, not bad for a Weds. evening. A lot of the cars I have seen in previous years, but as usual, there were some surprising gems.

I’ve uploaded some of the photos I took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52521557@N06/sets/72157624603843398/

But my favourites:

Not sure if for me the highlight was the sleeper Mk1 Cortina estate (it would be nice to think it was running a Lotus twin cam) or the achingly beautiful (and rare) Triumph Italia Coupe (above).

I’m not sure if this qualifies as a chav Ferrari:

Its the Halfords K&N sticker, ebay breather filter, extra description on the numberplate and cereal box stickers that set it apart. And its yellow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/2754321/Classic-cars-on-the-Common.html

(nervously glancing at my fingernails)

Ha! That’s nicely put…

Perhaps the thing to do would be to rigidly enforce the 20 years+ rule - and get rid of some of those darn Ferraris (cool though it always is to see an F50). But who are we to guess?

By the way, have you ever made it down to one of the Goodwood Breakfast Club meetings? These are also getting staggeringly huge now, and feature a ‘worthiness filter’ in the form of marshals on the gate.

Shush, my car isn’t exactly 20 years old Embarassed

Don’t mind modern Ferraris (not that they do anything for me), but I wish they’d enforce the unwritten/written rule that clubs aren’t meant to park up together. Make them park in between a Maxi and Mk1 Astra, to enforce a bit of egalitarianism. Besides, its meant to be a bit of fun for charity.

Not all that inclined to get up early on a saturday or sunday, just to drive 100 miles around the M25 for a bacon sandwich. Been to Goodwood a couple of times; thats enough for me.

The other surprisingly huge evening car meet is the legendary VSCC meets at Ashby Folville; second tuesday of every month.  Also an electic mix of cars (“only” 500 or so);

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antsphoto/sets/72157621791443744/show/

The Breakfast Club is much more fun than the main Goodwood events, imho - really good atmosphere. It is an early start though, I’ll grant you that… Sleep