Clay Bars

At 69 I have just used a clay bar for the first time. What a pleasant experience, I feel cheated that I have not had this pleasure till now, what was I thinking.

I used the Bilt Hamber soft as it uses water as the lubricant, and the car is ‘new’.

If you like a clean car do not waste your life as I have done, get a bar and enjoy. I had not realised that you do not have to exert any effort and you really can hear the dirt going on to the bar, what is not to like.

Just one question, how do you know when the clay is ‘exhausted’? I have used one quarter of the bar for the whole car which was not very contaminated and it seems to be still useable. All advice regarding my newfound friend is most welcome.

What a nice post   and I look forward to any information shared. 

Merry Christmas everyone

Nice post and great to see you enjoyed using it

I use Bilt Hamber ‘Soft’ and ‘Medium’ but always use soapy water via sone simple Car Shampoo…Its gives a slippier and a little safer experience

Keep turning and moulding and if it no longer looks clean…throw it away

If it hasnt picked up many contaminents, you must also throw it away…basically, because it will have

Its always best to lightly polish the car too after youve clayed…You didnt mention this

As part of a car decontamination process; I do this:

1 Wash the car and rinse

1. Dry it

2. Spray with Tar remover …lower panels and the rear attact the most

3. Spray with Iron Fall out remover

4. Wash the car again and rinse

5. Clay the car with car shampoo as the lubricant

6. Rinse

7. Polish by hand or Machine with light polish and pads

8. Spray with Panel prep or Car Paint ‘Prep’ to degrease all the polishing oils

9. Apply sealant or wax …or Sealant AND Wax (An hour apart)

Hope this helps

Have you tried a clay glove?  Super easy and great results.

Hi C,

I have used Simonize original after the claying which I understand (may be incorrectly) is not a polish but a wax. I am fortunate that I can work indoors and have ‘perfected’ a method with Simonize. A damp application cloth, a very very small area of application and polish it off within seconds. The product MUST NOT be allowed to dry. I find the results are more than adequate for my meagre expectations. As I polish for pleasure I think it would spoil it for me if I did it properly.

Many thanks for all you posts, I have to admit being an avid reader even though I do not follow your regimes to the letter. keep up the good work.

Hi B,

Having only just used the clay bar once I feel it inappropriate at the moment to overload my sensory organs with a ‘glove’ job!!! Probably a little too adventurous for the meek and sensitive soul that I am. May be one day, never say never.

For a BH bar there’s no need to use anything other than water as the lube. Save the cost of the shampoo :wink: Also no need to polish after but sure why not if you enjoy it. Machine polishing though is a whole other subject and not for the faint hearted. If you have an older car with swirls after the clay then use some Bilt Hamber Auto-Balm. Front to back strokes on horizontal surfaces, up and down on vertical surfaces, you’ll be amazed. Then by all means add a final step product like Double Speed wax to lengthen the protection and shine.

Hi

I see you mention that machine polishing is not for the faint hearted, now I have a sneaking suspicion that I am getting one for Xmas, is there something I should know ?, as I have never used one before

thanks

Boz

Wellllll. It’s a long subject and one you’d do well to investigate thoroughly before trying on a car. That said it’s very rewarding and can make a huge difference to bad paint. Done without a little knowledge and a LOT of care it can do huge damage though. My best advice would be join Detailing World and get a couple of panels from a scrappy to practice on.

Hi

Are we talking about the same thing? as I am talking about the electric buffer/ polisher with the round soft disc buffers , like the ones sold in Halfrauds, I thought they were just a way to make buffing up the wax easier , less stress on my old elbows, or are we at cross purposes ?

Cheers

Boz

Aaaah yes cross purposes. Yes those things are pretty good for a good buffing! I’m talking about rather more powerful versions that’ll burn through the paint if used badly.

Ah good, I wouldn’t want to accidentally damage the paintwork on my pride and joy whilst waxing and buffing it. 

Boz

Perhaps you have or know someone who has a ‘Company Car’. As we all know these are built to a much higher specification and can take a lot of abuse without any problems. Practicing on one of these with your new polisher should be absolutely fine!!!

Ah yes, these might  be  the characters that undertake me doing about 80 on the A12 , or sit about three feet behind me if I don’t move out of their way quick enough, … now is that the lambswool buffer or 80 grit

Boz