Clicking noise rear NC

guys please help me diagnose this clicking noise coming from the rear driver’s side. I’ve hit the suspension components with a mullet but I can’t replicate it the click. it only happens when I take off or reverse. I’m thinking wheel bearing/drive shaft

First off I suggest you get that wheel in the air and check the brake caliper/pads.

1 Like

What Mick said, but, as you are driving the car backwards and forwards you are using the brakes which will (if they are loose) move the pads in the caliper giving that click, i know it may be difficult but could you try changing direction without using the brakes and see if it still clicks.

Brake pad? Shims may need replacing or adjusting.

Brake calliper pins…remove, grease, refit.

1 Like

I have done that.

I will try that, I have recently regressed them maybe not in the right way

Try doing as in the video above without touching the brakes. If no click it points to the pads or caliper.

Update

When in the air I have to apply the brakes. It doesn’t do it as ofthen as when it’s on the ground.

When on the ground, I almost never touch the brakes apart from when I apply the handbrake for test purposes only.
I have since removed the caliper pins, regreased, retightened, refited.

The more I do this the more I look at it and feel like a moroon, I will end up breaking something else because of this back and forth. Sorry for the poor video editing.

Something in the boot.

wish it was

Guys I have removed the brake pads and caliper all together and I can 100% confirm it’s nothing to do with the brakes.

The clicking sound come from the hub area. Could this be a CV joint issue?

Don’t know if this applicable to your car but there was a Mazda TSB for clunk noise.

that is very helpful thank you

So if anyone is interested to know, after much debate with myself whether I should take the driveshaft out or not (because I just paid £90 to have the wheels aligned), I decided to bite the bullet and remove the driveshaft and do the grease thing mentioned in the attachment from @Andrew5

Now I didn’t manage to take the bastard out because it is seized in the hub. So I was only at the stage of just hitting it with a hammer and had no success. No other suspension components have been taken out.

Out of desperation, I took some penetrating fluid not WD 40 lol, Lidl own brand, and sprayed it behind the hub where the speed sensor or ABS sensor is, basically between the shaft and hub at the back, I sprayed where the bing locking nut was and put it back together.

Low and behold. Noise is gone. I don’t know if it was the hammering, or the fluid maybe infiltrated I don’t know. It’s gone!!

2 Likes

Happy days, glad you where able to get it fixed. :grinning:

1 Like