Clunking noise from front at very low speed

In the last couple of weeks ive noticed an intermittent clunk coming from the front right when turning right at very slow speeds, such as turning into the drive or into a parking space. It seems like as I turn the wheel to the right, it starts increasing the turn itself as if its “dropping” in on the steering. As it does so, I get a loud bang from the front and thats it. I have heard the same noise when braking hard following the bang as if whatever has moved when turning is putting itself back in place when braking hard.

Anyone able to offer advice on this one? Does it sound like a dodgy rack or an ARB droplink?

I used to get a “brake, turn, clonk” effect, as I turned into my driveway.  Could be the same thing.

Went away when I serviced the front brakes (greased the slide pins).

I had this problem - it drove me mad for about 18months. I swapped over everything from pads and discs to shocks and springs even anti-roll bars and it cost me a fortune.

I finally tracked it down to a worn track rod end costing about £20!

Have a look and see if the rubber boot/seal has perished.

Definitely sounds like a ball joint.

Thanks for the replies, will check it out. I was only laser aligned a few weeks back and happened pretty much after that.

It could also be the tyres catching the inside of the arch liner if they are not standard size.

Or, if left overnight, the tyres will bulge a little at the bottom (virtually negligable) due to the weight of the car, which might be enough for them to make contact when reversing out of a drive or whatever, but from what I gather, this happens all the time, not just after it’s been parked for a while?

I had this problem a few months back… it was after I had my lowering springs fitted… turns out, one of the two bolts holding my passenger side lower wishbone on to the car was loose :open_mouth: and the 2 top nuts holding the damper into the chassis were loose too :open_mouth: with that tightened and checked over its totally fine now…

Time to get mine up and checked, i’ve had this noise for a while now…

I had this problem on my 94 v spec and the local garage suggested it was the power steering on the way out?
But when i changed my 14" wheels/Yokohama tyres for 16" alloys with new Toyo prox R1s the clunking/banging disappeared?