Cobra Alarm in 2001 NB - can i use a mazda fob?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NB 2001 Jasper Conran
  2. I’m based near: Stirling
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Cobra Alarm

Hi all,

I just picked up a 2001 Jasper Conran with the weird little comma shaped Cobra alarm fob. I’d like a spare central locking button and key. I believe that as a mark 2.0, I can just have the key cloned.
I’d prefer one of the three button remotes with the boot release (if it is actually fitted which I believe the JC was). My question is, do I have to stick with a cobra remote or can I use a mazda fob?
If I use a Mazda fob, will the alarm go off, will it just not arm or disarm the alarm???
Thanks

You’ll have to stick with a Cobra fob for the Cobra system.

Hmm. Thanks. Nevermind.

I have one working fob and one key. No pin.
It’s a 2001 (X).
How easy to get a new fob and key?
Also, should there be a touch key?
Cheers

It’s been a long time since I’ve dealt with them. From memory there should be a touch key, I think that touch key socket will be in the centre armrest cubby next to the boot and fuel flap releases. You should be able to get a key from a Mazda dealer who should be able to program it for you or Timpsons may be able to clone your existing key. As for the transmitter, not sure where you’d get one of those, maybe Cobra directly if they are still a “thing”.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll contact cobra

Thinking it’s just an alarm (optional extra). If I got a Mazda remote, and programmed it, surely it would work to unlock and lock the car. Possibly opening the boot too?
But it wouldn’t arm or disarm the alarm?
It would be good to have the option of locking the car without the alarm being on.

A Jasper Conrad won’t have any wiring or components required for factory remote locking. It was never an option from the factory until the facelift (MK2.5) came out.

Got it thanks. Will need to be a cobra fob. Now I just need to find the serial number. I found the siren under the bonnet. Cobra 7905.
Not sure where to find the serial number. I’ve taken photos under the dash.
Does anyone know where I can find it?
I found the touch pen receptacle. Presumably the touch pen has gone wandering.

Found a box under the centre console (5462) but it’s just a volumetric sensor. It has numbers on the back but I don’t think they’re the ones I need. Presume there’s another unit somewhere. Will have a dig around.