Cobra Race-Type Exhaust

Having purchased a Cobra “race-type” exhaust in December, I finally had it fitted at the weekend…Now the exhaust I purchased it with was clearly not a stock one, but this new one sounds even deeper :slight_smile:

It was a joy to drive already , but now it’s even nicer, even on my daily commute

2 Likes

Got one myself, well pleased , sounds great :+1:

1 Like

The dealership (where I bought it from) I took it to to get it fitted had a slight issue with the gasket (curved v straight), but they sorted it without any fuss, well done to Westdrive Braintree - they also fixed a little problem I had with the passenger mirror (it had got itself unclipped and so would not move in and out) without charging me anything else.

I fitted the MX5Parts version https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/stainless-steel-exhaust-rear-silencer-mk3-35 to my previous car but wasn’t overly impressed. Anyone got an experience of the Cobra and the MX5parts one? Does the Cobra boom at mid range revs?

i love mine, And it gets better after a few hundred miles.

1 Like

Yes, I see what you mean…takes a few miles for everything to bed in, but it’s sounding even better these past few days :slight_smile:

I’m getting throaty sounds at low revs, nice crisp pops when I put my foot down after decelerating, and some burbles when I take my foot off the pedal after high revs — sounds like a wine review doesn’t it.

Is it too loud for the road though? At the moment I can’t decide between Cobra Road, Cobra Race, Cobalt or Piper. Don’t really want to spend much over 500.

I have the cobalt, it’s not too loud, it ads a bit of depth. Drones a tiny bit on freewheel, low rpm. Like coming down my street at 20mph freewheeling.
From the drivers seat At normal road speeds, I can hardly tell.

I like the sound. I think I’d have been underwhelmed had I gone for the road instead of the race. The backend I had on the car before wasn’t stock (I don’t think, it certainly wasn’t a Cobra or a Cobalt) as that was also quite deep but lacked that pop and burble of the race. My commute is down the M11 so its a mix of fast and crawling - sounds good either way

I live in a village - i can poodle through and it burbles. Under load it opens up. it would sound very different inside to outside but im glad i opted for the race

I also had one of these on my previous 5, very nice sound and not bad fitting too (done it myself on the drive)

On my current 5 (mk4 1.5) I have a cobalt and that too sounds great! I was going to get a cobra but it was a lil too pricey at the time.