Coffee anyone?

Not certain that this will be of interest to anyone but just bought one of these for £1 to replace the original modo mio machine I have. Here’s a link to the machine,

I got this one for a pound, yes, £1. They are discounted generally at £89.00 to buy outright, from RRP of £129.00. Not bad and after reading loads of negative reviews of this being a scam, went and ordered it direct from Lavazza (not one to run with the herd :sunglasses:)
The ‘catch’ being that you sign up to a subscription order for coffee pod purchases.

So, I buy the correct pods from Asda, or MrsB does! £4.40 normally for a box of 16, only 3 choices available (sometimes only two, sometimes none in stock) Subscription is 10 boxes every 2/4/6 or 8 weeks x 7 free deliveries then you’re out or you can continue with it. Either way, the machine is yours to keep :+1: We buy the stuff at £4.40, subscription price £4.40 but you spend £44.00 in one go per delivery. We elected for every 8 weeks which means two to three cups a day which is the norm anyway in our household. Plus, choice of all the different pods that are available to mix your order each time. 7 different pods available to select from. We’ve previously purchased like this but generally not in a mixed selection, usually all one type.

You can get the pods on Amazon and some other online sites slightly cheaper but you don’t get the machine with them. I have no affinity with Lavazza other than enjoying their products myself but thought it maybe of use to some (or not).
It’s really interesting ( due to lockdown) that we’ve altered the way we buy some things in our household now.

The original machine, still working perfectly, so ran a descaling solution through it, gave it a thorough clean and polish then boxed it up along with the original manual, guide, warranty card and supplied accessories. Added the Lavazza pod storage cup that came as a free gift for ordering along with an included 9 pod selection plus a 16 pod box. Daughter and her partner are now enjoying nice coffee’s too! :+1:

I also have a deLonghi pressure machine and an electric grinder for that bean to cup experience but find the Lavazza machines very convenient TBH.

Barrie

4 Likes

Will give it a try, thanks! Confusing website to negotiate on an ipad though. Maybe better to use a laptop :computer:

Jeff

1 Like

Hi Jeff, got the offer from a Facebook page? That’s where all the bad reviews came from, most likely from folk that had not bought one! :rofl::rofl: I like latte’s so got the Jolie + milk, the other three are just coffee only.
Barrie

Thanks Barrie. I drink it black as I don’t like milky drinks (but love cold milk, go figure).

I always ignore Faceache. :laughing:

Ordered so will wait and see. I had looked at a similar deal for Nespresso machines but we like Lavazza coffee, too many stops at Wetherspoons maybe?

1 Like

:rofl: yes Jeff! Registered for the warranty this morning, as you say, website a bit clunky. Mrs B was emailing customer service after a couple of failed attempts to register, when she got an email confirming it was all done? :nerd_face: not to worry, hope you enjoy your new machine when it arrives :+1:ours was only a couple of days to be fair.
Barrie

Are the used coffee capsules recyclable?

I’m not planning on giving up my Jura bean-to-cup machine any time soon.

2 Likes

Hiya, all ‘eco pods’ now, compostable.

Another reason for purchase.
Barrie

1 Like

Yep, Nespresso ones say recyclable but you have to post them off to Nespresso! Not sure delivery via truck and P.O. is greener in the long run. Lavazza can go in the green bin! Was part of the decision to go with Lavazza offer rather than Nespresso offer.

1 Like

My Lavazza machine arrived this morning, along with my selection of coffees ranging from 8/13 to 13/13 strength. Had a 10/13 as a test. My pupils have dilated. I drink coffee black but had to add a dash of milk. Cripes, it’s good coffee! I may be drinking it as a daily treat rather than a regular infusion!

Recommended offer if you like a good coffee, fairly prices pods and a machine for £1

2 Likes

Glad its passed muster Jeff :+1::+1:
Barrie

Now to fit one in the boot of the ND . . . . . :laughing:

3 Likes

Now you’re talking! :rofl::+1::+1:
Barrie

2 Likes

Isn’t that a bit like choosing wine based on the ABV? (I mean I’m not going to pretend that I don’t instinctively tend toward a 13.5-14% bottle over and 11-12% one :smiley: )

I buy ground coffee (and make it in an aeropress rather than a cafitiere as filtering out the fine grounds does seem to make it less bitter) and I don’t tend to stick with just one or even just the stuff that’s marked as strongest (though the appeal is strong). Some of the Ethiopian and Kenyan stuff that’s labelled as lower strength (or lighter roast, whatever) is really good.

1 Like

Yep, I like the “lazy Sunday” blend which is probably a 4/10, and drink a few cups a day. Blue Mountain is another favourite, again for a good cup without too much of a hit. I like Lavazza at Weatherspoons and a couple of mugs with brekkie goes down well (or used to :face_with_raised_eyebrow: .

My favourite is Starbucks Blond roast which is an expensive bean lightly roasted. The darker the roast (as a general rule) is because the beans are second pick or are not the best quality and a longer roast is required to get the flavour from the bean. I went to a plantation in Colombian and they explained the 5 best ways of preparing coffee (cafetiere was second best, some vacuum system was first) and how they blended beans from different parts of the estate in the same way that perfumiers mix scents, by smelling the bean extracts and mixing until they get the “blend” they want.

3 Likes

Not much happened since purchasing our machine on the £1 offer, other than just enjoying the coffee experience! However, the last delivery of 10 boxes of pods went astray. Mrs B contacted Lavazza customer service. Just plain good service from them, no arguing and they sent a further 5 boxes on top of the replaced order for the inconveniences! Very happy with that, halfway through the agreement now but will probably continue due to the great service and full choice availability of pods too!

Barrie

Same here. Bought a few extra boxes off Amazon as we were running short BUT they are European issue and are not recyclable “eco” pods and definitely a different taste even though called the same. Will not be doing that again! Drinkable but…

1 Like