As a daily user

I’ve since put on the original dampers
And fitted eibach springs

If you are interested I can sell you a full
Set of coilovers at a fraction of the new price

I only did a few hundred miles on them
If your interested just let me know

1 Like

Thank you all for the comments. I am probably going with MeisterR, but only in September (if I manage to keep the anxiety under control)!

Good call, I doubt you’ll be disappointed :+1:

Never tried any others but happy with the Gazshocks on my NC. Plenty of adjustment options and made by a great little family firm.

Hi,
I had MeisterR fitted by https://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/ to my ND. They do a lot of MX5 work. They are just north west of London. They also will do four wheel alignment as part of the package. They also will advise you on the different options. I would recommend.

sorry for not responding sooner but I’ve recently started a new diet and exercise program, so i haven’t had anytime to sit down at the pc.

i still have not tracked the car!
Long story short, I was coming back from lincoln on the A607 when a Porsche gt passed me, he taunted me by sitting in front and then speeding off and then slowing until I caught up and then repeated the process a few times.
I knew there was no point trying to race him. so he ended up just cruising along ahead of me.
however, i kept coming out of the corners on his bumper and after a few corners he noticed, and then he started pushing the corners! BUT I still kept catching him in the corners!
eventually, I could tell by his driving he was getting annoyed by the fact I was out cornering him and his driving became more and more leery and so I ended up turning off!

now chances are that that particular Porsche had a standard road set up!
could my suspension modded 5 beat and properly track up Porsche? probably not.

however there are quite a few videos on youtube where people have put a modded 5 up against various standard supercars and in almost all of them the modded 5 will match or beat the supercar on the corners, it’s the engine power that holds the 5’s back in those tests!

While the running wide in Pouhon is due to the mid corner oversteer, if anyone actually believes that a MX-5 competes in corners with a well driven Porsche, they are deluding themselves, but it is a cool story to say you have.
A 5 would need to be massively more ridged, need better traction and ultimately the front engine weight will let it down. What it is, is easy to drive close to the limit than some other cars that have a higher limit, so ultimately, it flatters till it is out classed.

4 Likes

one day I’m gunna do a trackday at Spa and zolder… :+1: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Whether our MX-5s are faster, slower, better handling or worst handling than other cars is an irrelevance to me.

Like our children and/or pets…they are what they are and we love them for it, regardless of what other people’s children/pets can or cannot do better.

2 Likes

yes, I’m not going to delude myself into thinking I could beat a tuned supercar with a competent driver on the track!

from the driver’s behavior, I personally think it was likely some 20ish-year old kid who was driving his daddy’s Porsche for the day and he simply wasnt used to driving it.
tho, I gotta be honest, I did expect better!
that being said Porsche’s, esp the old ones do have a reputation for being very tail happy, so maybe the driver was just frightened of it?

All, after the feedback, I’m opting for MeisterR coilovers. Since I’m looking for a more track-focused setting (I know it compromises road comfort) any opinions on the reliability of the Clubrace vs. ZetaCRD (Clubrace spring rate of 10kg/mm in the front and 6kg/mm in the back, vs 6/5 kg per mm for the ZetaCRD, respectively)? I believe spring manufacturers are different.

After all, I’m getting my car back this Saturday with following upgrades:

• Meister R Clubrace (went for stiffer springs)
  • RX8 yellow dot sway bars, Front and Rear
  • HEL braided brake lines and DOT 5 fluid for safety

Car is fitted with AD08 Yokohama tyres and I’ll set height at 345mm initially (conservative?). Camber at -1.5 front, -1 rear.

I’m fitting EBC yellowstuff pads later this month (stock brakes).

Going to Hethel Circuit 01/10! Can’t wait

2 Likes