Coilovers + performance shops + sway bar

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: London
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: coilovers / shop / sway bar

I have recently acquired my NC MX5, idea being to use it on occasional weekend road trips and track days (I go at least once a month). After investing in tyres (AD08) its time to upgrade suspension with coilovers (firmer ride, no aesthetic reason). At first, I looked at VMAXX, since they are well regarded in the community (even highlighted by Flyin’ Miata) and at good price point - I plan to have fun within a reasonable budget. Has anyone got serious recommendations against it?

Second, any recommendation on sway bars?

At last, and more importantly, I don’t have a garage or tools to do it myself. Could anyone recommend any performance shop near London (within 2h drive)?

Had VMaxx on a MK2 after being recommended by a well known seller in the “community”. They were atrocious, made the car feel like a cut and shut as the front felt unconnected to the rear and vice versa. Took them off again after a couple of weeks as they were distressing to live with.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks for the review!

Assuming you want to set a track car that also work on road my vote would be the Ohlins.

Ohlins have dual valving and work excellent on track but also are able to absorb the bumps on public roads so you wont break your teeth or your spine if you go over a pothole.

If I were you I would not change antiroll bars until you get the suspension fitted and the car wheel alignment redone. Always change one thing at a time and see the effect unless you know what you are doing . If you change antiroll bars + suspension + wheel geometry at the same time you wont know whether the new setup helped or hindered the car. And because it was done many times by may people usually fitting a set of track focused suspension and alignment is all that is needed.

3 Likes

MeisterR sell an awful lot of their Zeta CRD coilovers to NC owners. Testimony as to how they perform as an upgrade is probably quantified by the number of owners who have them fitted.

1 Like

I’m hoping to upgrade to Meister R, later in the year.
I have upgraded to Pro Sport lowering springs, this made a massive improvement over stock.

2 Likes

I have the meister zeta CRDs and am very happy with them.
while firm they are not too firm for our roads.
no point putting suspension on that’s so hard that you end up arriving at a track day with a broken back!!!
I paired the zeta’s with the IL motorsport 30%stiffer antiroll bars AND I added all the chassis braces.
my car can now out corner a 60grand porshe

here is my project thread with all the details if you want to take a look!

2 Likes

have you actually taken the car on track then?

1 Like

Possibly…with a claim like that, I’d be inclined to think he has and surprised if he hasn’t…

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I am inclined for the MeisterR. Potentially installing the set next month, let’s see.

1 Like

Cheapness is another factor (unfortunately)

Well they’re kinda middle of the road (affordable) to the masses . As we know there are cheaper ones and more expensive ones. What’s not to like ?

I’m not saying they are bad but kinda agree they are probably a good compromise from whats out there.

Its not like manufacturers have never inflated their claims. :sweat_smile: For example for the na and nb rocketeer offers the jag v6 engine with claimed 250bhp.

I have seen plots today of one dynoed yesterday and it doesn’t go over 205bhp with around 185-195 lb.ft torque. Curves are linear and smooth but Bassett down has locked the ecu and im sure that map is not optimised.

The thing is its easy to give advice if you actually done something that improved the car. But when you do just be objective and say how it is, no need for inflating your claims. And in this day and age you really need to try rationalize and explain the reasons why you have arrived to a conclusion.

Many times whats right for me is not right for everyone else. As long as you have arrived to a conclusion based on your criteria then that choice is the right choice for you. Just remember it may not be the right choice for everyone else…

1 Like

The OP was initially looking at VMaxx but Nick D, whose views I respect, commented on them being less than great. I appreciate you have and recommend Ohlins but that’s a 2 grand commitment.
MeisterR can be obtained for less than half that which would leave him a fair pot of wonga to spend elsewhere. There’s a potential financial squeeze on the country dont ya know :astonished: :sunglasses: :rofl: :joy:

sure… but as always you do get what you pay for… Personally I regard Ohlins, Bilstein, Koni, Gaz, BR (+ there are a few others) superior suspension manufacturers (in regards to quality and knowhow) compared to to the MeisterR

Again, the choice should depend on your priorities and what you want to do. For example in my case I wanted a great suspension that works well both on track and on the bumpy public roads - so I got the Ohlins.
If I wanted one that would work on track but price was an issue I’d look into what BR or what Bilstein can offer

for reference
MeisterR ZetaCRD Coilovers for Mazda MX-5 (NC) 05-14 Quantity: £949.00

Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers For Mazda MX-5 NC £1,914

BR suspension
https://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications/mazda-coilovers/mazda-mx-5/mazda-mx5-ncec-06.html

For example BR offer one which is the same price and function as the ZetaCRD. If you want a proper track focused suspension with remote reservoirs BR also have your back and the bonus is that its more or less the same price as the Ohlins.

If you just want something that is better than what you have, the standard Bilstien sport dampers with lowering springs do a good job. They will still be soft on track, but quite acceptable and can be stiffened with anti roll bars.

Trying to choose which brand of springs/dampers to choose, from the list of suggestions in this thread, is like trying to choose which super-model you would like to sleep with.

Is there really a bad suggestion, here?

If money was no object, for me, it would be the Ohlins. However, all the others are also worthy contenders.

I have Koni/H&R (£800) on mine, they are better than standard. However, I cannot comment on how they compare to other brands because I haven’t tried any others.

1 Like

Well…the words want, can , would like to but chances are never will" are relevant… we can all dream about carts and stuff… cant we ? :joy:

Please for the love of god don’t ask what oil to use… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully thats not the 2.5L version of this engine which was rated at just over 200bhp in the S Type…??

I believe its the ajv6 3L one with the rocketeer kit and base (safe) map

Good linear increasing power curve and fairly flat torque curve throughout