The continuing adventures of owning an mx5 nc2!

so on this coming Sunday 17oct 2021, I will have had my nc2 for 6 full week’s and Monday will be the start of week 7.
I am finally settling into the ride and handling and my confidence in it is starting to build.
the reason it’s taking me so long to settle in is 3 fold.
the main one being suspension (prev owner mismatched the rear springs).
then there is the fact that before I got this car I had not driven any vehicle for 2 and a half years.
then lastly there’s the fact that I had not driven a rear-wheel-drive for almost 20 years.

one thing that keeps surprising me is just how much it is like my old manta GTE exclusive!
Although they are VERY different cars, the handling and performance are so very very similar.
(first and second gear are about the same but the mx5 has much better performance in 3rd 4th 5th and of course it has a 6th gear witch the manta didn’t have)

I had wanted to get another manta BUT, well, you know, it’s 12grand for a fully restored one, and at the end of the day, it’s still a 40-year-old car with 60-year-old brake tech, no power anything! no airbags. open dif, and nowhere to get up-to-date modding parts from.

so in the light of all that, while I was a little sad that I couldn’t get another manta. I couldn’t be happier with my choice of an mx5 nc2.

I am looking forward to a long and happy journey through the years with my nc2 and I am pretty sure it’s going to be just as good if not even better than my years with the manta!.

furthermore, I now have the advantage of age and experience.
so hopefully, while modding the NC. I won’t waste money having to do things twice or correct bad decisions like it did so often with the manta.

a picture of my precious

edit. i shall use this thread to keep a track of the work and mods I have done.

work done so far.
4 tires.
changed number plate.
replaced door sub speaker.
replaced shocks n springs for Meisterr coil-overs
basic alignment.
coolant changed 25 November 2021.
all oils changed 9-12-21 37k miles.
hand brake adjusted.
fast road alignment.
underseal and cavity.
piper cross air filter.
rear upper brace.
stronger anti-roll bars.
underside chassis braces.
paint calipers and change pads all around

work that needs to be done. in order of priority.
re-Bush rear suspention (£280 cost in parts)
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/Mk3+NC+(2005-2015)-2621/1.html
OR
Replace all rear suspention arms (850 parts cost)
check scuttle grommets.
replace coolant tank with aluminum one.

work that needs doing not in order of priority
BBR 180 kit.
Sound tube Delete.
full paint valet.

work I will do after the need list.
rear boot spoiler.
Mazda service
Roof service/replace dodgy sensors.

work I am thinking about for the future. not in any order!
nc3 nose!
supercharger or 2.5 engine! or maybe even both!!! yes, both would be overkill but I don’t care!
bumper lip front n rear
ICE, under-seat subs, head unit, aftermarket speakers all round, and the amps to drive them. may also need a second battery in the boot and split charger.
replace washer water tank for larger (prob) aluminum version.
corner weights.?
1 touch roof control

manual for adjusting roof handle.

4 Likes

Love Manta,s had 3 myself.

1 Like

nice :grinning:

I also had 3, kind of!!!

my first was a mark 1 Vauxhall cavalier 2 door Saloon, which was a manta with a Vauxhall badge and slightly different doors.
the second was a W reg Berlinetta.
the third was my 87 late d reg GTE Exclusive.

I miss my Manta too…like you mentioned prices have took off. Good luck with your project. :+1:

1 Like

And another ex Manta owner!
Mine started life as a 1.8 hatch and finished as a 16 valve track day machine.
About the only things apart from an early 80s Lancia which rusts worse than an MX5!

1 Like

my manta GTE Exclusive
manta
not a very good pic and it was taken before I changed the wheels.
however, you can see the rear bumper skirt that I put on there!
as standard, they didn’t have a rear skirt just a normal body-colored bumper
she has also been lowered by that point. and was sitting PMC springs and spax shocks

2 Likes

having the coil-overs fitted on Monday.
so yesterday I took the car into the garage where I’m having the work done and we put it up on the ramp and we sprayed wd40 penetrating oil on all the nuts, bolts, and bushes that we will need to move on Monday.

while it was up on the lift I snapped off a couple of quick pics of the underside of the car for this record.

to be fair it looks pretty good for an 8/nearly 9 year old car.
though it does look like Now is the time to have the underside taken care off.

I will snap a few more pics off on Monday as these aren’t very good and I’ve missed large sections.

ALSO.
I mentioned in my thread about tire’s a month or so back, that when I put weight on the driver’s rear in a sweeping left-hand bend that I was getting a strange sensation.
at the time i had no clue what it was.
Well, now I do know what it is!!!
It’s the dynamic stability control!
because the previous owner only replaced the 1 spring and because he used the wrong spring, that back corner is sitting 15 mils lower than the other side. so when I take a left corner the stability control is seeing that that corner is much lower than it should be and is kicking in, when it really should not be!
it is actually kind of dangerous.
so the moral of this story is!
If you have a car with DSC and you break a spring you MUST change both because if you only change the broken one you are turning your car into a death trap!

oh, I forgot to mention that on a right-hander because of the spring imbalance the DSC won’t cut in at all! even when you really need it!
so you got it overactive on one side and not active on the other!
so with that, I’m sure I don’t need to give any more explanation as to why it is dangerous to only change 1 spring on a DSC car.

1 Like

ok!
had the coil-overs fitted today. :grinning:

my car now feels like the thoroughbred fast road car that it was built to be, instead of (due to the bad spring) feeling like an old racehorse with a gammy leg!
seriously, the difference is massive.
and the best bit is that it’s going to get even better over the next few days as the coil-overs settle in.

sorry, forgot to get pics.
It’s back in the garage on Thursday to have the wheels balanced (we ran out of time today) so il snap some off then.

--------ok, moving on to a general point-------

I’ve often thought that performance cars need to have their springs renewed every 10 years.
and now that I have done this to 2 ten-year-old performance cars, I know that I am right!

if you have an mx5 over ten years old, no matter the mileage, and it is still on its original springs, one of the best things that you can do is to refresh them.

for more on coilovers vs lowering springs see

3 Likes

I don’t think you’ll win many friends on here among NC owners calling their cars old racehorses with gammy legs.

1 Like

Somehow I hadn’t yet seen your thread. I had seen your gorgeous car though.
It might be a good idea to replace the coolant expansion tank sooner than your list suggests.

1 Like

no worries.

to be fair the OEM coolant tank looks ok.
I would guess that it has a couple of years.
BUT
I’m not going to risk it.
I’m having the coolant changed on Thursday because it’s never been done from what I can see in the records and we got cold weather coming.
I’m using
MPM oil company, low phosphate, Mazda fl 22 compliant.
I will thoroughly flush the system out b4 putting the new stuff in.
however, I don’t trust the current tank.
so i will be changing it inside of the next 3 months

also thank you for reminding me to update my work list :smiley:

1 Like

ok, the pics of the fitted coil-overs

4 Likes

so I changed my engine coolant on Thursday and now the car is now running slightly cooler than before.
is this normal?

The needle should rest just below midway on the gauge, I believe.
If the new coolant is more efficient, then it explain why your engine is running cooler.

1 Like

not sure how the engine can run cooler as you have a temperature regulator valve that opens and closes the flow of water to the radiator with the aim to keep the engine temperature constant at a set value. I think most valves open at 82 degC, if you can visually see the engine running cooler my guess is that you have a stuck open valve

1 Like

it is only slightly cooler, just half a section on the dial.
my guess is that the old coolant was so old it was basically green water!

You have air trapped in the system , it wants burping. A common problem after a thermostat change…

2 Likes

Edit sorry meant to say coolant chang ,bit of brain fog there :blush:

1 Like

it has already been burped as you put it.
if by burped you mean keep checking the tank and topping it up each morning because as the air works out the coolant level drops.

left side dip beam bulb went and I had to have it replaced!!!
seriously!
just to change a headlight bulb they had to take the wheel off and move the arch liner to be able to get at it!

also one stripping it out we found out the little 50pence plastic bulb holder had a broken connector!
AND it’s a main dealer part or mail order from mx5parts.
so I had to drive 30miles each way to fetch a little bit of plastic that cost 50p to make and cost me £10 to buy!