Coilovers that don’t adjust on the top mount?

1. My model of MX-5 is: ‘07 NC
  2. I’m based near: Oxford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: easily adjustable coil overs

Hi folks,

While at MX5Works yesterday, Matt told me the classic Meistr ZetaCRD coilovers aren’t ideal for an NC because you need to remove parts in the boot (and under the bonnet) in order to get access to the adjustment dials. Does sound like a faff, given part of the fun of adjustables is being able to try different options and change depending on need.

Does anyone know of any good coilovers that can be adjusted elsewhere? Somewhere easily accessible on an NC?

You fit extenders on the rear, saves removing the boot liners when adjustment s required. For the fronts if you have a brace bar fitted they do fit on back over the adjustable cap or you can have a hole drilled out of the brace bar bracket for access.

3 Likes

And yet this guy Matt didn’t give you any recommendations which brand to go for ?

I don’t know of any other makes that are any different when it comes to adjustment. I have the Zetas fitted to mine and have the extensions fitted like above. As for the fronts, I changed the strut brace purely for looks. I thought drilling the oe one was fine, but seeing it done on other vehicles, I wasn’t keen on how that looked, tho’ obviously a much cheaper solution.

You can always make extensions if it’s an allen key type. Pretty simple to do with a couple of cut down allen keys and some tyre valve caps.

3 Likes

The alternatives would be shocks with adjustment on the body, for which you need to lie down in the dirt in your constant faffing around with compression/rebound settings. At which point you find them all seized up. Or you buy Teins, and man up for the EDFC controller for the pub bores, who can adjust from their seat (basically stepper motors for top adjustment, and a dashboard control panel).

But you know what, you adjust for the optimal settings, the optimal settings being your own personal criteria. And once its done, its done. Refit all the trims etc and feggitaboutit. Served me we for 16 years on Prodrives. I’m pretty sure that the Protec brass adjusters are seized like the Titantic’s anchors, even though I gave them a pointless coating in grease way back. And the settings I settled on, turned out to be the same setting Performance-5’s Phil Dozon recommended back in the day.

1 Like

I’d lay a safe bet that there’s been more MeisterR’s sold globally for the NC platform that anything else. As has been pointed out above, minor one time trim adjustment and strut brace mod and you’re good to go, for as long as the car is on the road.
Some ACF50 coating or Lanoguard annually on the coilers will keep them looking rosy for that time too

Thanks for the responses guys - feel a bit dumb now for scrolling past the extensions hundreds of times without actually reading what they are!

Bit weird Matt didn’t know about those, must admit…

Seems that’ll be the way to go - plus, I’m ‘in luck’ that my NC is a base model so doesn’t have the engine bay brace. So adjustment in the front might be easier.

I think you’d lose that bet. Its easy to forget that NC owners on forums represent a tiny proportion of NC owners

1 Like

Have you looked at Gazzshocks? https://www.gazshocks.com/
You can twiddle the gnurled knobs from laying under the car, 18 settings on the ones i fitted to my previous car.
gazz

Huh, nice.

Well thanks for answering my original question - great to know the GAZ options allow for this.

Obviously height adjustable as well, I went a bit low on my previous car