Color choice... and wheels

Hey there!

So I am almost convinced to buy the new 2024 MX5 in the Homura trim.

I am not sure about the color and I know that is super personal, but maybe you may help me here…

So the idea is to wrap the car in British Racing Green. I know that the best color if you are considering a wrap is a dark one, so I was thinking to with the machine grey color (I don’t like black and I have to consider that I may remove the wrap one day).

Now the problem are the wheels. I would like to have bronze wheel and as far as I know is not possible to wrap alloys (BBS come in black), so the only alternative would be to spray the alloys in bronze.

Do you feel that machine grey (assuming at some point I may remove the wrap) with bronze wheels is OK? Or if I decide at some point to remove the wrap I should also calculate the price to re-spray the alloys back to the original color?

Thanks!
M.

1 Like

NOoooooooooo.

:heart:

3 Likes

If the wheels are 17" generally it will cost you around 50 pounds per wheel to have them powder coated. So budget around 200 for changing and 200 for changing back. Or pick a base car colour that would look good with them bronze and you’ll not have to pay twice… Racing green isn’t my colour but everyone can do with their car what they wish and I’d love to see one with bronze wheels. :sunglasses:

Seems all manufacturers are going through a dire colour choice phase at the mo, BRG and bronze looks good, I believe powder coating is the way to go on wheels rather than spraying,

BTW it is often not understood that BRG is not a particular shade of green, it first refered to Green that was chosen to adorn cars, such as the 100hp Napier above, representing Britain in the 1903 Gordon Bennett cup, the actual name of the shade chosen was Shamrock Green in deference to Ireland where the race was run.

Since then BRG has been all manner of darker and lighter shades including metalic and this fetching shade used by the British Racing Partnerships on the 1959 BRM driven by Stirling Moss above and numerous other cars entered by the team.

Have fun what ever BRG you choose.

Highland green is lovely

2 Likes

It certainly worked for Steve McQueen :wink:

Wrapped ND with a tan interior

You can buy rubberised paints to spray the wheels, which can be reversible.

4 Likes

Personally I love a green car and remember thinking this shade worked particularly well:

However, on wheel question I’m not a fan of bronze. If it were me, they’re be in anthracite. But go with Dean’s approach outlined above essentially - refurb in bronze and then refurb again back to an OEM finish if/when you desire.

Cheers,
Steve

Plasti-dip wheel kits are reversible.

2 Likes

A bronze vote from me. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the tips! From the first picture I see that grey and bronze looks very cool too. So I think I can go with machine grey and keep the wheels in bronze even if I will remove the wrap.

I will investigate powder coating and plasti-dip!

5 Likes

I have to agree, British Racing Green to me is an MG. The new Soul Red is lovely imo

personally I wouldn’t have my wheels powder coated because they have to be cooked in the oven and I wouldn’t trust some of the firms out there ,unless they gave ma a guarantee that the heat won’t weaken or damage the alloy ,i watched a program a few years back and they was saying the pitfalls of heating the wheels up to powder coat them

https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/t/a-downside-to-powder-coating-perhaps/133465

1 Like

I’ve had a few sets done over the years and never had any issues. It’s definitely been the most durable finish and never negatively affected the wheels. I think they bake at around 200c for 40 mins radiant heat, not direct. When you consider the temperatures wheels can be exposed to from brakes when tracking cars this doesn’t seem to be alarming.

1 Like

ive seen a few fall apart over the years wheels are so cheap now might as well just get a new set

2 Likes

You’re on to something there. If the plan was to do them twice over the course of owning the car there wouldn’t be fortunes in it buying another set in the desired colour…

Just an example

2 Likes

quite like them lol but ive got three sets in the garage now still always room for more

I have some very similar so I have a bias towards the design but there are so many to choose from for reasonable money as you say.

1 Like

You are right, colour is a personal choice, but it’s not for nothing that Mazda use Soul Red Crystal Metallic in its publicity material.

So here’s mine!

(PS - Everyone should own a red sports car at least once in their life. :wink: )

2 Likes