Condensation

any one able to help . 

Since ladt week when I turn the heater on, the whole windscreen and side windows just basically fog up. 

The I need to open the side window about half way. 

Could this be blocked drain holes? 

Help… 

Fred

Blocked drain holes would possibly cause water to enter the car and cause misted up windows on a cold day.

This does not explain why turning on your heater initiates and creates this problem. That can only mean that the blower is somehow introducing damp air into the car that is condensing on the cold windows. Can only suggest that damp has got into the system possibly through the port  that sits on the passenger side under the window scuttle trim.   

Is recirculation on?

No. It’s set to fresh air

Well…warmer air can hold more water in the form of vapour than colder air.  If the heater is introducing warm wet air and the windows are still cold (i.e. it is cold outside and still colder in the car) then condensation will result.  Exactly this happened briefly to me at 6.30 this morning in my wife’s 4 year old Skoda - nothing wrong with it that I know of, and I am familiar enough with it happening in other cars not to have been surprised.

After a couple of minutes the car heats up and the windows clear.

If your car is doing this more than normally then suspect more ‘wetness’.  Either in the heater, high humidity outside (where the incoming air is from) or already in the car.   It has certainly been humid here (near Aylesbury) the last few mornings - very heavy dew.

Check the carpets (seems to be where the wet ends up when the drains are blocked) and see if it improves when the weather changes.

Just my thoughts - quite possibly wrong, you know your car.

When this happens switch the A/c on full power to clear it.

I have no a/c .

if I have damp in the system how do I get rid? 

Does your car live outside? Is it possible it’s just due to the change in weather recently following the long hot summer?

My mk1 lives in my garage, with windows and boot left open for air circulation, but when I still had my mk3, it had to live outside for a while in autumn and winter and it was often a bit damp and misted up inside, even though there were no leaks anywhere.

Phil

What mark of car is it? If it’s a mk3 could be our old friend the leaking scuttle grommets, I think the passenger side one is just above the blower.
Also check the air intake under the bonnet in case water is gettin into that somehow. I’ve not heard of this but you never know.
Regardless I would lift the carpets and check for wet/damp and clean the drain holes. Worth doing regardless.
D

Hi, I have a mk3 which very occasionally mists up. Change of weather or a bit of water getting in. My car lives outside and doesn’t get used every day, so I put a baking tray with cat litter on the passenger floor when it’s parked up.
It does seem to absorb the dampness and stops the leather steering wheel etc getting clammy! Very cheap and worth a try. Of course stopping water getting in is the best plan but if it is just damp, give that a try for a few days.
cheers
Marc

It seems that I have lost some water from the top up tank!!!

so probably a small leak somewhere that blows the water over the screen !!! 

Many suggest 

Hi 

sorry sounds to me like you have a heater matrix leak