Considering between the ND1 2.0 and the GT86 mk1

Im thinking of choosing between the 86 or the MX5 ND 2.0.

There’s not much difference between the two other than the practicality and the engine.

I plan to have it as my daily driver for a while and plan to have it for a long time. I really like the 86, but the engine has been putting me off in terms of the reliability. That being said, I test drove an 86 and loved it. I’ve yet to go on a test drive of the MX5.

My ultimate goal for the car will be turning into a weekend car/track car. Just to clarify, i wont be tracking it whilst my daily (so will be mainly enjoying the B-roads). So the important thing for the car is weight. I guess the 86 is good in the sense of extra space should you take it to a track day and you’re able to carry all the important things you need. But other than that I’m not really bothered about the practicality as much as weight.

They both give the best driving experience, so its a really hard choice.

In my ranking I care more about

1. Reliability and rust
  2. Weight and handling/performance
  3. Maintence cost (cheaper the better)
  4. Practicality

Do you guys know how the engines on the 86 are like in terms of reliability? I’m definitely would look for a 2014+ for the 1st gen only and don’t intend to go FI, so at most will do the typical exhaust and header changes. I mean I wouldn’t mind having to deal with engine replacement if a replacement engine didn’t cost £3k+.

I was considering on getting older cars (mx5 nb/nc 2.0s) but I didn’t really want to deal with the issue of rust since I recently bought one thats a bit of a lemon underneath (mk3 MR2…). I loved the MR2 and it was pretty much everything I wanted but the issue of them rotting etc isn’t viable option for a car that I want to keep forever. That being said, how are rust holding up for the ND MX5, can I see any underbody pictures from the members here to I know what to look out for etc when buying one? And for the members thats done any rust treatment when buying the ND, how much did this cost?

What advice can you guys give me in this decision problem? I know I definitly will have to take a test drive in the MX5. I basically would love a car thats fast in the corners and that gives me a good driving feel. I’m heavily inspired by the best motoring era and would love something that gives me the same experience/potential as Keiichi Tsuchiya’s AE86. (In terms of performance and potential to improve the car to my liking)

(Basically asked this on the gt86 forum, but would love to get advice from the MX5 people here too!)

1 Like

My daughter has got a GT86 mk1 and it’s a lovely car. I prefer my ND though. If you can afford it, I would get as late a model as possible as some of the early ND1 2.0 litre cars had gearbox issues especially if you intend to track it eventually. Many were replaced by Mazda under warranty. There were a number of improvements to the gearbox over the life of the ND1 to achieve the reliability Mazda and their customers wanted.

Some early GT86s had engine problems. I think it was due to excess silicone gasket sealant used for sealing the sump getting into the oil pump pickup and starving the engine of oil (ouch!). It may be a good idea to Google “Toyota GT86 engine problems” to check it out.

Make sure you drive an ND convertible with the roof down before making your decision :grinning:

4 Likes

Of course. Coming from an MR2, i need something more modern but that basically has the same feeling for a reasonable price that hasn’t rusted.

I think I’m willing to take the bullet for the gearbox issues of the ND1 over the Engine issues of the GT86. I mean a replacement engine is alot in comparison to replacing the gearbox of the ND.

I will definitely take off the roof for my test drive!

Get a late 2013 / 14 NC instead. Put some decent suspension and tyres on it and you’re done.

That’s what I would do anyways as i think the early NDs are too small for me and the GT86 is pretty dull as a daily. Having had the use of one for a week I was missing being able to put the roof down. The boot space was decent though so that was a bonus if it’s a consideration.

This is from a friend of mine’s Facebook last year. He had owned his GT86 from new in 2013 and when sold it had 147,000 miles on it. It was an paddle shift, but that never slowed him down. He also got close to £8k when sold through Carwow.

In my experience, the Toyota ride is stiffer and you notice it, but neither is impossible to live with. Neither car is going to be taking a full set of wheels, so one is hardly more practical than the other. Also, they are not fast, the joy however is to drive them fast on the limit. I would not worry about weight, they are both good at what they do.
Also, any car you use all year round is going to get crusty underneath.

2 Likes

I’m 5 8’ so I guess I’m good in that sense? I do like the idea of a soft top, but I think that sense I’m pretty much indifferent other than weight affect of it. It’ll be my only car if I go for the 86 or MX5, and I’m not so fussed about practicality.

1 Like

With power and speed, I’m coming from an Aygo and I do have an MR2 on standard 1zz and that alone feels plenty fast so I can’t really complain if I make the move to these.

With rust, I hear the MX5s are notorious for rust? I mean I’d love to get either car where I can have as little rust as possible and treat it asap to be honest.

1 Like

Also if any members have a picture of the underbodys of the MX5, would love to see them!

Having had a GT86 as a daily driver for 3 years, I’d say that if you want a soft top, go for the ND, otherwise, for a driver’s car, it’s the GT86 every time.

(And any engine problems on the earlier GT86s was sorted out with a Toyota recall, so as long as that has been done - and most will have been - it’s not an issue).

1 Like

I considered the GT86 but ended up with an ND because for a daily driver I couldn’t stand the interior on the GT86. Also the fuel economy is a lot worse on the GT86 and that makes a difference when you’re doing over 10,000 miles a year.

I’ve had no engine issues with my ND, had some surface corrosion on brake pipes but that’s about it and it’s a 2015 car with over 60,000 on the clock but I do pressure wash the underside.

Reliability has only been average at best; both window regulators have been replaced and were an ■■■■ to replace, the pleather is ■■■■, rear suspension hub carrier bushes have gone twice, the battery failed at about 4/5 years old, the roof rubs on the rollover hoops.

Maybe if you are pressure washing the underside of your car you are forcing water through the seals of the rear suspension hub carrier bushes, causing the bushes to corrode. I would be very wary of using a pressure washer near any seals of any sort. I never pressure wash my mountain bikes for that reason. Even if the seals on the wheel bearings and cranks can stand being immersed in water for a short while, pressure washing usually knackers them very quickly :disappointed:

1 Like

The bushes are a well known failure point and mine seem to have failed about the same time as most other people’s (40-50,000 miles or so), but I am using proper kit I’m not just poking about with a high pressure lance under the car! I also pressure wash the roof, but again I have a proper tool for that so the roof is stil good after 7-8 years.

Wouldn’t pressure wash my mountain bike, in fact I wouldn’t wash it at all :rofl: That might be why it’s corroding a bit now but it is also 30 years old…

2 Likes

I’ve got an NC and was going to get an ND but having 2 2 seater cars wasn’t really on so I got a lovely 86 and am in the fortunate position of having both. GT86 has room in the back for the dog which is handy. Other than that both are equally good to drive.

This may be a it controversial but there is only one reason to buy any MX5 and that is that the roof comes off.
If you do not want the roof to come off there are many many other cars that will do things better than the 5.
:heart:

1 Like

Best of both worlds?

Saw one the other day in Aldi car park. Thought it was a 5 from the rear.

1 Like

I don’t really have a prefence over the soft top vs tin top. That being said, i’d feel more safer in the gt86 should an accident occur but that means more weight.

With the engine problems, I know I’m going to to look for the 14 plus years to avoid the issue of the recalls, but if not then at least I’ll double check on the individuals cars when the recall work has taken place.

Out of curiosity, what do you have now and what made you get rid of the gt86? (Assuming you have)

Have two NC PRHTs now (plus a Škoda Yeti). I only got rid of the GT86 because (1) I was no longer doing the 60-mile daily commute that I had bought it for, and (b) my wife has a Peugeot RCZ R, and we didn’t need two sporty 2+2 coupés.

Another massive plus (in my book) for the GT86 is that Toyota offer a free year’s warranty if you get the car serviced by a Toyota dealer. I’m paying Mazda £367 a year to have the extended warranty on an NC.

1 Like

I quite liked the interior on it to be honest and even then, when I test drove it I didn’t care about it. As long as it has the basica modern stuff etc, i’m not too fused. I did have a look at the interiors on the ND and must say it does look miles better.

The pros of having a lighter car. My current commute is only a 10 minutes drive so on average I do about 50/60 miles per week. But if I get my next car, i’ll anticipate to do more given more opportunities to take it out on drives etc.

1 Like

How would you check and treat for rust on the underbody if you were to inspect it every year?