Coolant renewal

1. My model of MX-5 is: __Mk 3 Kuro
  2. I’m based near: __Bradford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ What is the correct procedure when renewing the coolant , are there any bleed points or is it just a question of draining and refilling ?

There are no bleed points but there is a specific bleed procedure. Something along the lines of fill the coolant to the full mark on the reservoir tank. Allow the engine to warm up by idling then hold the revs at 2500rpm for 5 minutes, then increase the revs to 4000 rpm for 5 seconds the let it idle and then repeat the 4000 rpm for 5 seconds process 4 times. If the level has dropped in the header tank top it up and repeat the process again.

I’ve just changed my NC’s coolant and it was easy enough. The drain plug at the bottom of the rad is easy to access and I used the full 5 ltrs of FL22 (it’s not easy to fully drain the system). I loosely followed the steps above but also burped the hose in front of the thermostat. It ran hot, then went cold but after reving and burping, sorted itself out.

Many thanks for the advice, Bryan.