Coolant top up on my just lowered NC

Hey

I have a 2014 2 litre NC and just want to top the coolant up a little as it looks a bit low. Is there a ‘safe’ pre-mixed coolant I can grab from somewhere like Halfords and top it up? See alot on here about F22 and green and red and whatnot, but most of it is around flushing out the entire system and replacing - whereas I just need a top up and have no idea what coolant is already in there - so hoping it’s safe enough just to buy a bottle and glug some in! Advice appreciated - thanks!

Pic just because I love it :slight_smile:

This Coolant, Premixed FL22 Longlife, 5 Ltrs, MX5 Mk3 3.5 3.75 & Mk4 (mx5parts.co.uk) is the correct item. This Standard Concentated Mobil Antifreeze, 1Ltr (mx5parts.co.uk) is a concentrate also from MX5Parts.
Your local Mazda dealer will also be able to supply the FL22.
:heart:

1 Like

Thanks for that - so nothing worthy from Halfords et al? £10 delivery charge on MX5 parts…I’ll do it just wanted to check first!

If history is unknown I would suggest its time to change the coolant. Its not difficult though bleeding can be time consuming.
Rather than FL22 I use an equivalent concentrate - Ravenol
RAVENOL HJC HYBRID JAPANESE COOLANT CONCENTRATE
under £9 per l 2 bottles is plenty plus plenty for top up.

2 Likes

Have a look here Antifreeze & Car Engine Coolant (halfords.com) If you put in your registration number it should give you the same results.
:heart:

1 Like

Thanks all for the advice, will pop down to Halfords later, cheers!

I have a 95% full 5 litre container of new fl22 from when I changed my thermostat…
Collection from Barnsley :red_car::red_car::red_car:

1 Like

Depends on how much you need to top up. The standard coolant dilution will protect down to -40c and the lowest UK temperature was -27C in Scotland so a few cc of de-ionised or distilled water will not make that much difference providing your existing coolant is correct.
Remember that tha MAX level is exactly that and should not be exceeded with an up to temp engine. Its not a cold level.

2 Likes

Bit far for me, think I’d be better off paying the 10 pound delivery :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I know this was a few days back, but you can pick up the correct item from Mazda. It’s pretty reasonable at £12 for 5ltrs. Just phone round a few dealers to find one that has it in stock. Several near me carry it.

2 Likes

Ok so i went to halfords to get the oat coolant as recommended and its pink. The coolant in my car alteady looks to be blue…will my car explode into smithereens if i top up with pink? I note the solicate anti freeze is blue but thats about the limit of my intelligence

See all previous replies. Does it say FL22 on your coolant tank lid, in your engine?

It does yes, just had a colour related panic

Then you need to buy FL22 coolant, not the stuff from Halfords you’ve bought. As advised in previous posts. Take a read back through them, as you’ve missed this information.

1 Like

One of them states the equivalent F22 coolant is avaliable from Halfords and provides the link to the website…

What’s your location as I have nearly a full container of F22 left over after had it changed.

1 Like

Halfords don’t do an FL22 coolant.
Their search engine confirms that with my registration.
As above put the proper stuff in.
Perhaps might be worth a complete coolant change and you will have some spare left over for a top up.
It’s long life so probably will never have to do it again for some time.

2 Likes

Hey, Hertfordshire

Thanks for the advice, I’ll probably get it done when it’s due a service in the summer. I’ve topped it up with some deionised water for now

1 Like