Corroded thermostat housing?

1. My model of MX-5 is: Mk1 1.6 Eunos
  2. I’m based near: Mansfield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Corroded thermostat housing

Afternoon sold the MX5 this week and it hasnt moved for some time. I have started the car today and coolant is leaking/squirting all over the engine bay. I have circled the picture showing the issue, the house connector has fully snaped away from the metal T. Do I need to replace the whole housing or can I change the T connector easily enough? Struggling to find much info and the ones on MX5 parts dont seem to look the same? Can provide new pictures of the issue if required.

Thanks again

Josh

By design the T piece is part of the housing so a replacement is required. It’s quite a job to change it. I’ve extracted good one from a used housing before and “pressed” it into a different housing with some bearing fit loctite. I’ve seen some where people have tapped a thread into the housing and screwed in a fitting.

Thought that might have been the case after looking how its connected. Watched a vid of tapping it might give this a try before going ahead and replacing the whole thing :see_no_evil: ! If i was going to change it all would this be the part with a new thermostat? Thermostat Housing, MX5 Mk1 1.6

Thanks for the reply given me a few options !

Yes, that’s the part.

1 Like

Thank you. Will see how it goes and update next weekend :+1::+1: