Cost of torque wrench calibration

My Torque Wrench has ceased clicking at 100ft/lbs; anyone know what the cost is of a torque wrench calibration? Given that its a 10 year old unbranded Chinese tool, its cheaper to buy just another for £20-odd from machinemart etc.

Probably best buying a new one.  

What are you using 135nm on btw? Obviously not the MX5? Wink

Front upper wishbone long bolt and nut; factory manual gives 87-101 ft/lbs torque value.

Get a new one as you would have to find a way of repairing the internals if the calibrtion failed then calibrate again.

These guys http://www.toolbox37.com/acatalog/Toolbox37_Catalogue_Calibration_1880.html 

quote Torque Wrench Calibration Charge 1/2" (List Price £37.45 exc VAT) CAL12 Torque Wrench Calibration Charge 1/2" (List Price £37.45 exc VAT) CAL12 Ref: SCAL12

Geoff

This service is to recalibrate Sealy make torque wrenches only.

The original questioner has a faulty torque wrench that has stopped clicking and there is no mention here of a repair being included in the price.

Also the company are selling new torque wrenches for the same price.

So it’s a no brainer replace the item which at one time, 30 years ago was a pice of kit garages only owned. Todayi t’s just another cheapish tool in the box.

Yeh, it was just meant to indicate the possible cost of a recal, which is what AT asked for. Personally I wouldn’t give a cheap torque wrench space on my bench. I’ve got a Snap On that I’ve had for many years and I get it checked agains a mates which is calibrated annually [he builds race engines] .

For AT’s purposes with a torque range of  28 lb I wouldn’t bother with a wrench at all.

Thanks for the replies. They confirm my suspicions. I can’t justify the high cost of Snap-On et al., for a tool that only gets occasional use.

One of the magazine had a range of torque wrenches tested at a test house, I will see if I can find it.

To cut to the chase, they found that a £20 torque wrench as accurate as the £200 one and all the others in between were much of a muchness.

The only difference was the dearer ones had some nice features.

In using a Torque Wrench the name of the game is resonably consistent tightening especially on a cylinder head not the exact tightness.

I have checked £20 LIDL one that came with four sockets against a calibarated one and they both gave similar reading.

eddie

That’s absolutely right Eddie. The main difference is that the more expensive items [Facom, Britool and Snap On etc] will give many years of service in an industrial environment. The cheaper ones are throw away items

So Snap-On etc are completely irrelevant to the home DIYer, who doesn’t work in an industrial environment. If a cheap torque wrench can give 10 years of home use (fairly occasional), then it will take 100 years for a Snap-On to justify its price tag. Relevant I suppose if you are including it in a Will.

Anyhow, my question was answered.

Absolutely

If you lived near me I could take it to work and have it either calibrated, or give you a list of correct readings compared to your torque wrench readings.

iddy

Thanks for the offer, but I’m too far away.

It is not too difficult to calibrate a torque wrench yourself.  I calbrate mine every year or so.  Quite simple, I walk down the road to a neighbour who does some sort of weight training routine, borrow several weights,  5 to say 70 lbs.   Clamp the square drive of the wrench in the vice,  Use a range of settings,  hang the different weights on the bar at different distances,  so 50 lb. at 12 ins. is 50 ft.lbs. and so on until the wrench just breaks and adjust accordingly.  They rarely need adjusting, despite being quite old, but then they are Britool and have strange markings, such as ‘Made in England’!  Or as my late father used to say, Clamp the square drive in the vice, hang your wallet at 12 ins. with wrench set to 100ft.lbs if it breaks then it is high time you bought a new car!

Regards  Geoff Peace.

Sorry, forgot to add, torque wrenches should be cleaned and oiled regularly, particularly before calibration.

Regards   Geoff Peace.

mate i suggest to buy a new one, its cheaper and you can assure that’s properly calibrated.

Hi mate, I’m planning to rebuild my engine its burning oil and there’s a lot of blowby. can you suggest me the best torque wrench when it comes to price and durability.

Here is the list https://sydneytools.com.au/category/hand-tools/torque-wrenches. Thank you in advance. 

Holy necro thread!