Covid vaccines for over 60s

Interesting, my future son in law (39) got his on Thursday? He’s worked all through the pandemic (Civil Engineer) so in contact with many but don’t think that had any bearing? When he asked, the centre did say they’d had a few ‘glitches’ in the invitations to be vaccinated. Because he was there, they gave him the vaccine regardless.
Barrie

Myself and SWMBO (62 & 61) booked in for Monday :smiley:
Thanks for the tip-off Roadie.

1 Like

I was offered mine two weeks ago I am 63 my partner was offered hers last week she’s 60 she had hers I refused due to on going health problems and our vaccination point in around half a miles walk I hope to get mine in a few weeks but I am in no hurry…its not as if there’s a lot going on … :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Aargh! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!
I stand corrected . . . 60! :grinning:

3 Likes

…very odd, have checked the website and it definitely says to “only use if 65+, or meets some specific criteria”.

Typed in SWMBO details (she is 61, and I have had mine), and it let me go all the way through to allowing me to book a time, (ie it did not kick me out when I entered the DOB).

Did not actually book one as still a little unsure???

Well why not just book it? If they are available and the official government website allows you to book then you can’t be accused of doing anything wrong.

From our point of view we have done everything we can to keep ourself and everyone else safe. It’s months since either of us went anywhere near a shop. Tesco deliver our groceries every week. We could go to the supermarket or the village shop for ‘essential items’ and still be within the rules but prefer to be extra safe. We haven’t broken the rules, we have stuck to the rules and gone above and beyond. Even when the tiers were in place we have effectively put ourselves into full lockdown.

All the time we see people in our neighbourhood having numerous visitors some including overnight stays. If they wish to put themselves and their family and friends at risk that is up to them.

All of the really high risk categories should have had their offers of a vaccine by now. If a number of those choose not to take up those offers and there are vaccines available we don’t feel in the slightest bit guilty of taking one.

Maybe the vaccination booking website doesn’t have a particularly tight checking protocol for accepting bookings but at the end of the day, getting as large a percentage of the population as possible is good for all.

So the website is currently saying not to book unless you are 64. I’m four months short of that. But I’ll be protecting myself from infection by all those idiots who have been breaking the rules for the last year.

3 Likes

Got an invite by text at weekend to have mine, no health conditions, under 60 just, took the missus and they offered to do her at same time as she was there. Some areas can’t get people in fast enough it seems.

2 Likes

Got a call last week from my doctors asking if I wanted my jab on Saturday (I’m 62) and of course said yes. Didn’t query why they contacted me earlier than expected as I was grateful to get it done. Only 4 people in the queue, painless and no side effects. A great feeling to get it done.

1 Like

…yep Roadie is right, we have also been “doing everything right”. I did try the site a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I entered SWMBO birthday it instantly kicked me out as not being eligible…

…so I have now been back in and booked it for Saturday!!..(they seemed to have lots of slots available)…

…so many thanks to Roadie for the heads up!!

NB Had mine a few weeks ago and had every side effect they listed!..luckily only lasted about a day…

1 Like

It’s interesting, some get letters, some a phone call, and mine was a text with a link to book it during next 3 days only, and had to book second as well. And my wife just happened to be with me so got hers to, which was very good of them, but did mean me sprinting back to the car park to bring her in when I was supposed to be having my 15 minute rest after. We both had achy arms for a couple of days but that’s it.

Our son is 38 yrs old and worked through the pandemic, he worked with around 200 others but got moved to another location, now a team of around 10.
He has type 2 diabetes and never been instructed what he should do by doctors etc but obviously keeps as safe as he can whilst working.
Now he’s had a letter from the NHS saying he must shield until the end of March and his letter for the vaccine he was told will arrive this week.

Me and Mrs A have had ours now , I just came under the 65 to 70 bracket even though I’m an asthma suffered. When the good lady went for hers last week her side if the queue grinded to a halt. They couldn’t find her on the system, the numbers didn’t match, then once in someone needed medical attention, doctors in attendance. Me waiting outside for 40 mins thinking, what’s she caused now :thinking: I was only in 15 mins.:roll_eyes:

I didn’t know Vauxhall were making vaccines, maybe that’s why he suffering!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A very good friend just got the new shielding letter and note about getting vaccine as well and has now got that booked so it want be long for him :smiley:

Yes I think the latest announcement in the news last week or the week before was 1.5m or thereabouts have been identified as now needing to shield.
He’s been telling us that over the last year or so he’s not picked up any colds or flu like symptoms as would be normal for him working in close contact with folk because of the mask wearing. Apart from his diabetes and an eye problem he has to manage with he’s never felt so good this past year. Now he has been told to stay at home, and his kids go back to school soon too.

From someone who hasn’t had his yet that’s a rather Cavalier attitude.

Don’t care which one we get, Viva la differance.

Just getting mine booked makes me feel like a Victor.

4 Likes

Hmmm! But his symptoms sound like he’d crashed out on the Cresta run!

1 Like

Corsa you gonna feel a little rough!!!

1 Like

Well would you ‘Adam’ and Eve it?

Barrie

1 Like

I had the text from the doctors surgery which then provided the link to book the jab. Wife’s was different she had a letter from the NHS and then followed the link in the letter.
Don’t know why it was different we are both registered at the same doctors. Maybe it’s an age thing, my wife not quite in the 65 to 70 bracket, I’m 66.
They also seemed to ask how you booked when you get there, via a letter or text/doctors and put you in the appropriate queue, well at our place in Derby did.

Just come out after having mine, was suggested that I sit in my car for 15 minutes in case I feel dizzy. Very well organised, massive car park at Elland Road (Park n Ride) plenty of assistance, 2 lines both with and without appointments. Courteous, efficient and well managed.

Barrie

6 Likes