Covid vaccines for over 60s

Had a message from a friend this afternoon saying that our local vaccine hub had 1000 vaccines today but only 400 bookings. Although the government website says you should only book if you are 64 or over or vulnerable it will allow bookings for those 60 or over if there are spare vaccines available.

Both myself and my wife are in the 60-64 age group but I have been able to book both of us our first dose for tomorrow.

While I don’t consider queue jumping to be fair or justifiable this isn’t queue jumping. It is using vaccines which would otherwise be wasted. I can only assume that people aren’t prepared to travel to the mass vaccination centres. In our case the one we have booked at is around three miles away but we were offered an alternative site around 20 miles away.

If you are in the same boat as us it might be worth taking a look. All you need is your NHS number and date of birth to use the website.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

14 Likes

The quicker everyone gets done the merrier we will all be, if that means getting your jab done a bit earlier than expected and legit, that’s great.

8 Likes

We had our first ones done two weeks back ( 68 both) to comply with letters sent by the NHS.
I fail to see why we would not have given the information gather regarding so -called “long Cov-id” implications are very much just initial and inconclusive stages no matter how you are affected by infection. I can see mass long Cov-id implications post epidemic in the years ahead putting as much strain on NHS finances as Type 2 obesity driven diabetes . The UK stats for that alone are horrific.

09.05 am tomorrow at Elland Rd football stadium! Home of my team! :+1:

Thank you for the link Paul, wasn’t aware that my age group (not same as yours but waiting for booking from GP) was eligible at this stage? I had a choice of centres that was extensive to say the least and appointments galore! Picked next day but not quite the first which was 07.05am as I have a couple of early things to do tomorrow :grinning:

Well chuffed to be adding my mark to the ever expanding list of folk that have been vaccinated! Mrs B got hers a couple of weeks ago, as she hosts a vaccine centre at her college, so both done by tomorrow now.

Barrie

6 Likes

I am 54 (but have Type 1 Diabetes) and I heard that a site in Manchester about 20 miles away from me were in an area with a high ethnic population. They were given an allocation of vaccines, but were not using them all. After a colleague e-mailed them and got a jab (aged over 60), I did the same last Saturday. They said to get there for 6pm, which I did and got a jab at 6:15. They said that the vaccines would otherwise get wasted as sending them back was not a viable option.

I see this as a win win and am not queue jumping, but using something that would not otherwise have been used. When I get called for mine, someone else can have it, which will be good for everybody.

I agree - the quicker everyone gets jabbed the better for us all.

11 Likes

Yep, Linda and I both had our first jabs last week - I am 66 and she is 64. No waiting, no hassle, no side-effects, no problem.

I cannot understand people putting their lives at risk by NOT being inoculated - but there you go, takes all sorts I suppose, and everyone has to make up their own mind.

5 Likes

Well done Roadie, good on you. I’m in the 55 - 60 group so expecting a call up torwards the end of next month. Nearest jab points are an hours drive away so perhaps that will put some people off.
It bothers me that the vaccination only offers a high percentage protection, not 100% and also the idea that the theoretical immunity generated may only last five months.
This is the choice we have at the moment so will be opting in at the first opportunity and hoping for the best. I don’t see my behaviour being any less defensive to avoid infection, post jab(s) and feel it important that the jab is seen as an extra layer of defence rather than a final solution to Covid and a ticket to complete social relaxation. Hope I am completely wrong and the combination of jab and warmer weather see an end to this. .

2 Likes

I felt flat and tired for a week or so after mine but much better than catching Covid any day

4 Likes

You are not queue jumping. You were offered it so take it. Me and her indoors had our first jabs a week ago. Me because I am an old fart and her because she is vulnerable

5 Likes

Having had Covid quite badly in October, I can assure everyone that I felt a lot worse than flat and tired for THREE weeks. I implore everyone to get the jab, Covid is a nasty debilitating virus!

9 Likes

A friend of ours in his 50s but with underlying health conditions had his a couple of weeks ago. Felt like absolute ■■■■ and stayed in bed for a couple of days but fine after that.

As you have to enter your NHS number and date of birth before it will allow booking I would assume these are checked on the main NHS database. I guess they open bookings up to the next in line groups but don’t actually publicise it otherwise the website would probably collapse under the strain. It would be interesting to know what would happen if someone in the under 50s age group were to enter their details and whether they would be rejected or get through to the booking stage. I am definitely not suggesting that anyone trying it should actually proceed with the booking.

Just to clarify we did not receive any communication offering a vaccination just a message from a friend who was told that our local hub had a surplus of vaccines.

I have also heard that serving Police officers locally have been told that if they call at a vaccination centre around close of play and there are spare vaccines that would otherwise go to waste they will be vaccinated.

They certainly use the NHS number to keep the records up to date. I had an appointment for my jab on 24th January, but due to an unfortunate incident (well reported on the forum) I was unable to make it. I’ve been meaning to re-book but keep forgetting. Monday afternoon I received a call from my doctor’s saying that although I’d had an appointment there was no record of me being given the jab, was it an error or not. I confirmed that I’d missed the appointment due to circumstances and they gave me another appointment for this Sunday, 28th February. Pretty impressive under the circumstances!

1 Like

Just go careful Roger! You’ll be running out of cars! :roll_eyes:

Barrie

1 Like

Many a true word! :crazy_face: I hope not! :pray:

1 Like

Sorry Roger, I was only joking! Stay safe my friend! Will be good when you get your vaccine, don’t know if you’ve seen but I go for mine in the morning ( thanks to Roadie for linking to appointments)

Barrie

2 Likes

Don’t worry Barrie, it’s just the sort of response I’d make! Glad that you all have managed to get yours booked. We can all commiserate over the weekend about how yukk we feel!!!

2 Likes

Bit of a strange situation though. Barrie and I have been worried about our slightly more mature buddy over the last few weeks. Now we are getting our jabs before you. :flushed:

1 Like

Don’t worry Paul. I’d have been done weeks ago but for chance, and as I don’t see anyone from one end of the week to the other the chances of me getting infected are much lower than someone in an urban environment who has direct contact with possible sources, or indirect one via their spouse or family. What I fail to understand is why, (along with NHS staff) people like the police, fire-crews, ambulance crews/paramedics and retail staff whose jobs automatically put them “in harm’s way” weren’t given some sort of priority.

3 Likes

Had mine last week (65) Pfizer no side effects, my youngest son 32 no underlying illnesses and had his yesterday, he was shocked to be offered it so soon. He had Astra one and feels ■■■■ today, tired and aches all over.

1 Like