Cutting out problem solved

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk2.5_
  2. I’m based near: Southend Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __
    Engine was cutting out at higher revs after being driven for a while, I removed a cupful of debris from the tank then hoovered the remains the next day, the pick up filter was cleaned with a nail brush and washing up liquid, car now runs superbly no hint of a problem. The car had stood unused for 10 years so it’s no surprise really, and the inside of the tank that’s visible looks pretty good. If anyone is interested I will give more details on here.
    Dave
5 Likes

Its good when you get a result! :+1:
Barrie

1 Like

Never a truer word spoken, thank you.
Regards Dave.

1 Like

How did you remove the tank crud?

Drove till very little fuel left, removed 5 parcel shelf carpet trim fir trees and rolled trim back to under rear window, remove inspection plate (large one with 6 screws) remove electrical connector remove 2 fuel pipes, take out 8 screws and lift out fuel pump / float etc. I then used a glass thoroughly cleaned and de labeled Doritos salsa jar to remove most of remaining fuel then a spray can lid to scoop out last dregs and a lot of the crud, then used finger tips then rags, once bottom of tank was empty but still damp with petrol I left it overnight after having removed virtually all the crud with rags I then next day hoovered out the dry powdery debris after using a small Allen key to move the bits hiding under the baffle plate, I had also got my arm as far as possible into the tank and rubbed as many surfaces as I could and brushed the debris to the tanks low point where the fuel pick up resides so I could pick/hoover it out
All in all a bit of a ball aching but satisfying job with a sense of achievement and plenty of folding stuff saved :+1::smiley:. Sorry for the long boring reply but hope it may be of use to someone, Any other questions please ask.
Dave

5 Likes

Ah Ha!
Did not know about inspection plate.
Good lad!

:+1:it’s the large plate more or less central.

Hi all, a bit of an update on this problem, it returned after a while when petrol was getting low so I am doing the job again drove around till near enough empty 1.25l came out of the tank, not so murky and way less debris than before but enough to cause a problem, I have nearly finished the job jus got to hoover out the remaining powdered rust then I will try to get the last residual out with an oily rag, last time I only put around £30 quids worth of fuel in so there maybe some more debris higher in the tank to be dislodged when I fill it fully up, so I guess I may be doing this once or twice more :frowning: hey ho I guess it’s better than hanging around street corners getting into trouble :smile:. Dave

1 Like