DA Polishing Tool Electric or Pneumatic

Hi

My car had 89,000 miles and 12 years worth of fair wear and tear by the previous 4 owners when I got it,  plus another 3 months & 2000+ miles of my own.

I have a bit of a knackered shoulder and find that polishing the car by hand really aggravates the injury.

The car has a few swirls and blemishes here and there, however it isn’t really tatty and looks reasonable immediately after washing.

My idea is to give the car a once over with some T-Cut metallic, then polish.

So I think that I have established that a “DA” polisher/sander is what i have always known as an ‘Orbital’ (sander).

I have a smallish compressor in the garage and have seen some reasonably priced Pneumatic Palm Sanders and others with handles to use with 6" pads.

I also have Halfords Trade Card and seen their Electric DA machine recommended.

So looking for recommendations and ideas from those that know.

Also anybody know of a decent ‘how to’ guide.

I started out using an air polisher on my Model A when I was restoring it but I changed to an electric one, a Meguiars DA wuich I found easier, I guess it`s down to the individual which you get on with best……………………………………….

The best advice you can get would be from - ChrisRs - our detailing expert.  If he doesn’t post an answer on this thread I suggest you send him a PM.

There are some great YouTube channels online that provide information for different levels of experience.  There are a couple of links below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg/videos

A DA polisher with non-aggressive polish would be a good starting point.

This site has good information an products too:

https://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

As you may be aware, Mazda paint is much softer than other brands (e.g. Merc, BMW, VW), so you need to be very careful what you are doing !

ChrisRS will undoubtedly help when he sees this thread, he is the ‘go to’ person in the club for detailing !

With a half decent DA Polisher and no more than a medium/soft Pad and a light polish, you shoul be able to make a difference to the paintwork without damage

This one from Halfords is based on the Meguiars Basic DA…Dont use the red pad though …Its too harsh

Mazda paint is both thin and soft. You must never use a harsh polish either like TCut …youre asking for trouble

Start on Speed 1 and carefully spread the polish out. Then turn up to speed 4

Always work on a small area at a time in  criss cross pattern, with slight weight put into it and do the same again with just the weight of the machine

Do this 4 or 5 times on the same area

Use no more than 4 small blobs of polish on the pad and work it carefully. keep checking what youve done and wipe away with a mf cloth when youve done the number of passes

Depending on the polish, some dont diminish, it may or may not start to go clear

Polish…so many out there…If using Halfords, go for Meguiars Ultimate compound and a medium pad, then do it again with a finishing pad with half the polish on the pad

If you follow these steps, you should be ok, but remember, its thin, so dont be aggressive…caress the paintwork instead

View some Videos and read some guides

These are good:  https://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

Good luck

Pictures will be required

Chris

ChrsRS Valeting & Detailing, Bingley, West Yorks

Unless you have a decent size compressor you would be struggling with an air powered one.

Agreed, i bought this compressor.

Airmaster Tiger 8/250 2hp 24 Litre Air Compressor

And a small pneumatic da polisher.

75mm (3") Mini DA Air Polisher Kit + 2 Polishing & 2 Compounding Foam Heads

And they don’t work together as the air capacity is not enough to run the polisher, you do need bigger compressor to be of any use.

I have read this thread several times and still don’t understand it;

but from what I can gather you need a decent compressor driving a half decent DA… 

or just get a constant speed Makita.

A DA Yes. But a Rotary with no speed adjustment is NOT a good idea.

Using this heavy high speed polisher on soft, thin paint could be a disaster waiting to happen, in the wrong hands

Thanks for the informative replies so far, much appreciated.

I do have a few ‘windy’ tools as we call them in my work world (Aircraft Maintenance ).

I will try my drill and Die grinder to see if my compressor is up to the job  - prob should have thought of this before asking… doh !

Although sometimes the air line and couplings create the restriction. I have only used my Aldi/Lidl compressor to inflate tyres and used the solvent gun to clean the engine bay (with water and auto glym vinyl care mix  - came up like a new pin ! ).

You mention hard pads etc…

Are they all universally colour coded .

I don’t want to ruin my paint lacquer (Stormy Blue Mica Metallic).

I will also look at the provided hyperlinks - cheers.

Unfortunately not a universal code

Ordered the Halfords Electric polisher.

Think I will use McGuires Ultimate Compound then polish as recommended here.

Althogh I normally use Auto Glym products.

Good choice. I was about to pitch in a say go electric. Not from any usability point of view but just the noise perspective. I have a 50 litre compressor but went electric just because the amount of noise the compressor makes when it kicks in. Doesnt matter when it’s only occasionally like topping up tyres or removing the wheels but on a job that uses the air for a good hour or two and it will drive you nuts!

Before

After

The DA Machine worked well for applying Compound and Polish. I applied the Liquid Wax by Hand. I used Meguiars Ultimate for compound, Polish and Liquid Wax as readily available form Halford 4 minute drive down the road.

I had to buff the final Wax off by hand using a MF towel as i didn’t have a suitable buffing head for the DA Machine - recommendation ?

As per original post car is 12 years old and coming up for 93,000 miles now so has seen some road, car wash and weather in that time.

My effort definitely looks much better than before i started and so time not wasted.

I think i am done Polishing for this year though…

Whilst cleaning all of the rubber seals I found one of my hood drains blocked with about 1" of standing water in it, trombone brush was a good investment and cleared it. Maybe need to find the other drains and give them a swish too…