Dashboard repair

Any suggestions on how to remove this mess? This was where a phone holder was stuck to the dash when I bought my car, which has just fallen off. The remaining glue is very hard, not gummy, so suspect super glue was used at some point.

Would a strong solvent work? I’d really appreciate any ideas, as this now looks awful :cry:

TVM!

Mask that off with masking tape as far as possible.
Yes, I know it’s round so lots of small bits should do it.

Buy, steal, or borrow from your Long Haired Domestic Commander in Chief acetone polish remover.
If she has none, send her to the shops for punishment. No excuses.
Use cotton buds to dab it (unproven) superglue until it softens.
Use a stiff plastic toothbrush in circular motions it till and very carefully dig into the stuff.

This will take a lot of time. Possibly a lot of dabs with acetone to keep it interested as it dissolves quickly.

Don’t ask me how I know…mind you…I knew what I was dealing with.

Do this at your own risk.
With both doors open to let the fumes out.
My dash is smooth and different material. Decades from yours.
Try a test area first somewhere if possible.

1 Like

Stumped! I’ve tried heat, acetone nail polish remover and Tar & Glue with no success, hasn’t even made a dent in it :frowning:

I reckon that my best bet in the short term would be to reattach the phone holder (more glue, but at least it would cover the unsightly mess), and think of a more permanent solution. Has anyone either replaced the dash, or had it retrimmed somehow, maybe in leather or something similar?

Any thoughts? :man_shrugging:

Have a chat to your local SMART repair company (the sort who do paint less dent removal etc) they are often able to do dashboard repairs too, they can match colour and texture too… much cheaper than re-trimming or replacing.

I did contact a Smart repairer, who said they could possibly improve it by about 50%, but wouldn’t guarantee anything :man_shrugging:

have you tried wd40? also Removing super glue, residue, and stains. Assuming it’s super glue of course.

Most super glue removers will contain acetone, be careful it will melt plastic, it is a solvent, we use it to smooth down 3D printing bits also.
Standard nail varnish remover is a bit weak any way, we have 100% acetone, and you need to be on your toes with it.
Dab it on slowly ,slowly like SF says , don’t rush it SF ,FYI …“My dash is smooth and different material.” its the same as the rest , just painted black at the factory, under the paint is tan plastic.
M-m
M-m