Dashbord plastic removal

Hi
I have a MK3 ( 2006 ) and the gloss black dashboard sections that have the vents fitted into them ( the long section and a small section to the right of the steering wheel ) are looking a bit sorry for themselves thanks to the former keeper, I was toying with the idea of removing these and re spraying them either gloss black or Sunlight Silver, either way are they easy to remove ? or will I have a struggle on my hands, break one and regret even thinking about it.
Any advice about removing these would be helpful.
Cheers

Boz

First off you need to remove the head unit, not all the way just enough to get at the two screws behind the upper part that hold the long section in. After that there’s a small screw behind the part above the glovebox, you can feel for it and get a short screwdriver on it, glovebox out of course.
Once those fixings have been removed the trim panel can be ease out, a trim removal tool or a thin blade. Take care not to mark the dash surrounding material. The small dash insert right side is just pushed in, no fixings to remove, just ease it out.
The vents are removed from the rear, held in with screws straight forward really.

Hi and thanks for your reply.
That’s very helpful as it gives me an idea of what I need to do, as I didn’t have a clue where to start :+1:

Boz

http://www.glasgowdave.com/blogimages/dash/Dash_Panels_MX5.pdf
Hi Boz, this is what I used when I replaced my dashboard trim.

Go for it. It’s a pain, particularly the 10mm bolt that locks the head unit, but you can get a superb finish with usual rubbing down painting and polishing. Maybe some chrome to finish off?

Mine finished in body colour. Note the polished ali trim below.

2 Likes

Another body coloured one, not a very good picture though.

1 Like

instead of levering the parts out and risk damaging them , the easiest thing is to use a hook ( welding rod works well ??? ) :sunglasses:
slip it into the vent and get a good purchase , then just tug :man_shrugging:

this is my tool

try it on the small part to the RH side of steering wheel first to get the feel of it :grinning:
when doing the larger panel, work left to right :ok_hand:

i went a bit wild :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks Guys
The coloured dash trims look really good, I think I will spray mine Sunlight Silver the same as the car itself.
Cheers

Boz

One more here. It’s since been off again and flatted and polished for a real high gloss finish.

Same on certain engine parts too…

2 Likes

The colour matched interior looks really nice without being over the top, but I don’t think my patience would stretch to the engine bay, not yet anyway, doing the dash will stretch my skills and patience as it is :thinking: :grin:

Boz

I have to say that I find the shiny (original) finish can cause considerable glare on a sunny day with the top down. I have been considering a vinyl wrap?

Bob

1 Like

Now there’s a thought , I suppose once you’ve removed the panels you can experiment with paint/ wraps until you get it how you want it, although I’m not looking forward to removing them, as my fat gnarly old fingers are not what they used to be :laughing:

@MickAP @safetymatch @Dosthilldave @bally3

Sorry to be a pain, but would anyone be able to take a LxH measurement of the colour coded dash panels for me?

I’m going to have mine wrapped, but I can’t measure mine currently as the car is at the garage having a job done :grin: :grin:

Thanks in advance!!

Approx, long panel 90cm x 11cm short panel 1.8cm x 11cm.
Both L measurements at there longest points.

1 Like

Thank you!

1.8cm or 18cm?

We’ll spotted, remove the . it’s 18cm👍