David's Norfolk Fives Mid Week Runs for 2023

These runs take place on the second Wednesday of each month from April to October inclusive. Now I know we are a way off from 12th April but I need some early feedback, please read on.

I plan to kick off this year’s mid-week runs with a trip to Sizewell B Nuclear Power station on Wednesday 12th April. However I need to book 4 weeks in advance and when I tell you we must allow three hours for the tour this may deter a number of you. Therefore I need to ‘test the water’ regarding likely takers for this run. I plan to leave B&Q Norwich South, usual place, drive to Harleston for a coffee/breakfast stop. Then on to Sizewell. We can return together with folk peeling off for home as it suits them best. I reckon we should be back in Norwich at 5.30pm.
Now I can propose two options for our visit to Sizewell. One needs booking the other does not. If you are interested in coming on this run please let me know your preferred option.
Option One: Booked 3hrs Tour of the power station including Visitor Centre. Option Two: Casual visit to Sizewell’s Visitor Centre which is Open to the Public.
If we go for Option One those ‘voting’ for option 2 may like to join us for the morning’s run, breakfast and run to Sizewell but just pop into the Visitor Centre and then leave. It may well be that this will cause our numbers to be too low for a main tour booking, we shall see. There are some restrictions for the main tour, eg no electric gadgets, cameras and re footwear no heels or open toed sandals, so that puts the mockers on ‘heeling & toeing’.

Sorry if this sounds complicated but it is what it is. I know this is going off piste from the usual Norfolk Fives runs but should be interesting and you’ll get a tan before summer starts, albeit in green. Over to you, vote now.

David

Hi David,

Many thanks for organising. You can count Tamsin and I in. We vote for Option 1 - the booked 3 hour tour.

Cheers K & T.

Hi David. Sizewell sounds like a cracking start to this season’s selection of midweek runs, and I am so appreciative of the huge amount of effort that you put into these. My preference would be option B, just based on the fact that I have always had a virtually non-existant visual memory, so memories of the visit would morph into each other without photos. However, I’ll quite happily go with the majority decision.

Thanks, Laurie

1 Like

Thanks Tamsin & Kevin
David

1 Like

Hello David,

Having viewed the sinister outline of the power station many times from Southwold I’d love to see inside it. The full 3 hours may make my brain hurt but am happy to go with it if you need the numbers. (Just a thought but If we only do the Visitors Centre there may be time to detour home via Mrs T’s for fish & chips at Southwold Harbour.)

Richard W

Thank you Richard.
David

Hi David, having read some reviews one mentioned that the tour took less than 2 hours so I’m happy to take that option. Also another review mentioned a cafe near to the power station.
Thanks.
Mark

Thanks Mark. Maybe they just cover themselves with three hours but in reality it’s less.
David

Hi David - I would be interested in the tour of the power station as well as the run there and back.

Thanks

Chris

Thanks Chris, your comment duly noted.
Cheers
david

I would be pleased to join you all and would want to do the tour - so option 1. What time do you leave B&at though? That’s often the only thing that prevents me making it as Zumba not normally an early riser.

Richard,
We’ll be leaving a little later than normal meeting at B&Q South, off Hall Road (NR4 6FB) at 10am (meeting at 9.45am). Half hour run to The Broken Egg cafe which I’ve yet to book so that’s to be confirmed. Long stop here for breakfast & chat then 45 mins run to Sizewell for either the 1pm Tour or just the Visitor centre. responses to date seem to favour he tour. Return route can be in convoy with folk peeling off for home as applicable, eta Norwich 5.30pm.

Hope this helps you decide and hope to see you on this run.
David

Thanks. I’d love to join you and it’s in my diary. R

Thank you to all who responded. Majority response was for option ONE full tour, one or two preferred option TWO but were happy to go with the majority.
I now need to see if eight persons constitute a big enough numer for a ‘group visit’.
Even if it does not I’ll probably still do this run but visiting Sizewell along the lines of option two.
I will start a new topic with details and ask for numbers etc around about late March early April.
David

1 Like

Put me down for this one please

Ian D

Ian - noted but booking will have to be later in the year, details in my next post’
David

RE. Sizewell Nuclear Power Station Run.- UPDATE

Since my original enquiry I have been told there will be an outage throughout most of April and any visit will be subject to disruption, restricted access and even cancellation all at short notice. Therefore I’ve tried another second Wednesday firstly in June, but they are fully booked. So both parties have agreed to 13th September for maximum of 12 persons. There is no commitment on the part of those already ‘signed up’ to come on that day but I will reserve your places and welcome others up to the dozen possible. This visit will go live as a new ‘Topic’ on the Forum Norfolk Area probably towards the end of July as they require 4-6 confirmation/notice.

I have an alternative booked for the 12th April, details on Club Night and will post as a new ‘Topic’ on website in due course.

David

2 Likes

Hi David, That’s a shame, glad you could get an alternative date. I might struggle to make 13th Sept due to a long standing appointment but Tamsin may come on her own. Will wait until your post in July to confirm. We also await your alternative for the 12th April with baited breath. Cheers and many thanks for organising. Kevin.

David, Should have mentioned we will miss club night as we are skiing so will rely on your new post for the 12th April. Cheers K.

Hi could you put Phil and I down for this please- or in the queue for a place if fully booked already! Thanks.