Daytime running lights not required on a 30y/old na

1. My model of MX-5 is: __mk1 1.6 auto
  2. I’m based near: __ulster
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __side lights front and rear come on with live ignition without the light stalk being turned…

have had a fairly extensive check around the front and the rear, nothing found that would indicate this issue, recent wiring break led me to check everything around ign switch and both stalks a broken diode dropped out of the headlamp switch and it was decidely short on the two wire legs , so perhaps i should recheck the one of the broken off wires hasnt made contact with another…any ideas…W…

Maybe replace the switch/stalk will cure it, wiring live to lights with ignition tells me it’s not ok check any earthing also.

Sounds like someone in the past fitted a diode to enable “flash” which wasn’t originally a function available on the NA (I.e. Pops the headlights up if you flash the headlights). Broken diode leg could be the issue, causing a short. The original tweak was to simply push the diode down the side of the plug on the light stalk. Remove the bottom cover (by your knees) (2 screws) and separate the top and bottom steering wheel covers and you will be able to see the light stalk plug/socket. Separate and see if the missing diode leg is the culprit.

Something else to consider, but maybe not applicable…

If your lights are popping up with the ignition on, do you have the awful UK dim-dip headlights - headlights come on half brightness with the ignition, forcing the lights to pop up.

If this is the case, it’s possible to remove the relay under the bonnet, positioned on the passenger side wing, near the windscreen wiper motor. There are two relays and I can’t remember which one, easy to trial and error. If you do have dim-dip, then there will also be a large heatsink near the relays which is how the dim part works. It can be left in place and becomes non-operational once the relay is removed.

THANKS GUYS i had been pondering about the broken diode legs,a few weeks ago i had the switch off and cleaned it thoroughly and the item landed in my lap, i didn’t refit, but i will have a further examination, the earths are all good… nor does my 30 year old Eunos have dim dip science…cheers W.

Check the flash mod here to see where the diode was fitted.

Diode Mod

Definitely worth having some lights on on a MX5 during daylight though. My headlights are permanently on.