DIESEL IN UNLEADED MX 5 EUNOS 1.6 ROADSTER

WHEN IN A HURRY I ACCIDENTLY ADDED 1.8 LITRES OF DIESEL TO MY TANK (1/4 FULL AT THE TIME).  THEN ADDED 25 LITRES OF THE CORRECT FUEL. DROVE 6 MILES HOME.  ANY ADVICE?

SEEM TO BE GETTING MIXED MESSAGES.

KEEP RUNNING OR GET IT DRAINED ?

I have done this with a Ford Fiesta. Put about a quarter of a tank of diesel in before I realised so then brimmed with unleaded. Smoked a bit but ran ok so every time it went down to 3/4 full I filled back up.

After a couple of weeks cleaned the plugs and there was no lasting damage.

Petrol in a diesel is a different matter and can wreck an engine.

I’m no technical expert but my gut feeling is that it’s better to drain the system.

Keep it running, just top it up with more unleaded soon.

After the RAC man had drained the old Vectra when SWMBO had accidentally put in a couple of litres of diesel from a GREEN pump (not black), and charged her for the privilege, he then volunteered that it would have probably been all right to have just filled up the rest of the 60 litre tank with the normal unleaded.  She was not best pleased with the RAC.

There is no need at all to drain the tank.

If it is a diesel car and you filled it with petrol, the diesel pump would be ruined if you run it as the petrol will not lube the diesel pump while diesel fuel will lube the pump.

As it is before 1993 being a 1.6 Eunos there will be no problem with the cat as the emmission figures are very lax for that car.

Just fill it up every time it gets to 3/4 full as the previous poster has done for the next few tanks of fuel

OK.  Go with the majority, they have experience of real situations and expertise.

I did the same a few years back on my eunos. lots of petrol on top to dilute, a bit smoky to start with but ran it for years after, no probs.

If it was decent diesel it would clean the fuel lines too. 

A friend did just that after coming off a boat in Dover about 7 years ago. He put 3/4 of a tank in from empty before realising. He then just stopped at every services all the way home and topped up with unleaded.

The MX was still going quiet happily when I last saw him