Difficulties starting NB 2.5 1.6

Hi Girls n Boys,

We have a new to us NB 2.5 Phoenix 1.6. It’s absolutely pristine with only 59k miles on the clock. Main dealer serviced from new. From cold it starts after 2-3 engine rotations. Thereafter it can take 9-14 engine turns to get it started again if I’ve turned the engine off. Engine can be still stone cold or at normal running temperature, it matters not. If i pump the accelerator it seems to start 2-3 revs later but I can’t verify if this is a solution or just coincidental. The previous owner only did about 6k miles in it in 4ish years, so maybe be lack of use is an issue? When it’s running it’s absolutely as sweet as a nut. I have a lot of experience with my old “Fifty shades of silver” Mk1 but still pretty virginal on Mk2-2.5’s!! Any and all ideas and suggestions will be great fully received!!

Cheers!

Russ

Hi Russ

Check the OBDII port for stored error codes.

Regrettably I don’t think you will have any.

My theory is ecu related damp ingress.

Worth just having a look anyway. You will need to access the passenger footwell, under carpet and remove a protective coated steel plate. This is a bit of a pain if not removed befpre as has two shear off security fixings at base.

Please feel free to PM or call me if you need advice in this respect.

Thanks Rhino, I’ve been otherwise engaged with the effects of a dental abscess for the last couple of days. Frown Have sent a PM

Cheers!

Russ

Rich mixture? Is the air filter clean?

I discovered that if I depress the clutch whilst starting and gradually let it up it fires after 2-3 engine rotations! No idea why! Perhaps there’s a mixture setting switchery thing activated by the clutch pedal?
What do you reckon boys n girls?

Cheers!

Russ

Depressing the clutch disconnects the gearbox, so less for the starter to turn.
Maybe your battery is not at its best