Dim NA headlights

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1.6 NA
  2. I’m based near: Teesside
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

Hi, I have had my bulbs replaced a few months ago but I feel my headlights are just so dull. They passed MOT in March but compared to other NA’s they just don’t seem right. Do I need to be buying any specific bulbs/headlights? I don’t want a bright white light, I like the yellow but I just want brighter. Pic attached for reference, mine is the red.

1 Like

You can get upgrade bulbs like osram nightbreaker which claim to be X% brighter and may make a positive difference, Phillips also have a range of lamps called racing vision which are meant to be good… I have also seen where people have replaced the entire lamp unit with land rover/mx5 compatible units as an upgrade and there are also led ones available but these could be troublesome when it comes to mot. I have no first hand experience of any of these on an na but I know they exist and poor headlights are a common issue.

1 Like

Could be the bulbs, could also be they just aren’t receiving the right power due to old crusty electrical connections.

1 Like

This is interesting, my speakers recently stopped working and I discovered white fluffy mold all over the inside of them and inside the door. I wonder if this could have gone as far as to affect other electrics?

Yes, check the condition of the connectors to the bulbs. Look for melting or burning. New connectors can be bought from somewhere like Halfords and soldered on in place of the originals.

@hollyb Do you realise that your side lights aren’t working?

Yes, this pic is a few months old and I did replace those. Headlights still dim though :joy: