Disk brake protection methods

Anyone else got a car that has  to sadly sit outside in the damp charged cold air, rain and other inconvenient conditions.

Mine is used infrequently so the discs will rust up quite quickly in weather such as that we are experiencing now.

Here is my solution…

Golf disc cover   

Works really well!

Anyone else do this or similar?  

My discs used to rust badly. The main cause was using a hose to rinse the car and wheels after washing and leaving the car standing overnight. The only cure was to drive the car after washing it and use the brakes, which removed any residual moisture on the discs.

You should have patended that device before showing it here.

Smile

Oh dear, another opportunity for fame and fortune wasted.

Dinitrol or  waxoyl,  if sprayed on both sides of the disc will stop rusting. Works well until you have to stop.

Wouldn’t like to drive off having forgotten about them!  

I remove my car’s brake discs and store them in the airing cupboard.

Can you not just buy ones coloured black?

repost

Back in the day, well, the '70’s,  I had something along these lines,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Gasket-6905-Wheel-Shield/dp/B00068OJY4/ref=asc_df_B00068OJY4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=394334124602&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10717720860812280395&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046325&hvtargid=pla-571225960497&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=83323971553&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=394334124602&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10717720860812280395&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046325&hvtargid=pla-571225960497

Very effective at shielding the wheels from brake dust and I can’t remember but probably they were a mobile version of rhino’s idea?  They weren’t as expensive as these ones either.

Barrie 

Yes, putting a caravan tyre protector bag over each wheel is useful. 

I’ve proved it can work with my NC, see my post from Feb this year, and it worked again in March.

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postsm768023_Rear-Disc-Brakes-Corroded.aspx#post768023

To save you reading the links and how I did it, just look up these Motorhome tire protectors

EDIT. A picture of how it looks.

tire protection

Dear Rhino,

Bilt Hamber do a product called Atom Mac, which helps prevents the formation of rust on exposed steel surfaces and is ideal for brake discs. It can be diluted in water to approx 5% strength, so quite cost effective. Look it up on their website.

hope this helps.

. If you just left them in there or any other cupboard (with the cupholders) they would never get rusty 

Back in the 70’s Barrie most of us had drum brakes!

I noticed a news item today where  a man blew up his car with a cigarette after liberal use of air-freshener.

He should have been top down in an MX5; no need for air freshener, and added safety in that the cig will go out anyway with the strength of the breeze.

Err, no it won’t.

Ah well no smokers in my MX5.  However my brother-in-law had a Mercury Comet a few decades ago and he was always complaining about the tip of the cigarette burning holes in his trousers.

Mercury Comet

I really don’t see the point, as the first time you use the brakes after storage the rust is gone!

Many years ago, when we lived in Germany, I needed to clean out the petrol tank of my Chrysler Avenger. Chrysler, for some inexplicable reason used to paint the inside of their petrol tanks with black paint that was affected by petrol over time. The paint used to flake off into little scrolls which got sucked up into fuel line, blocking the valves of the mechanical pump in the engine bay. I fixed this temporarily by carrying a foot pump with an airbed connector. Whenever the engine cut out I disconnected the fuel line to the carb and used the pump to blow the debris back to the tank. I got fed up of doing this, especially at the side of German Autobahns!

I decided it was time to clean out the tank, which formed part of the boot floor. I drained the tank then took out the cover plate holding the fuel gauge sender. I could see lots of debris in there. Annoyingly, my hand was just too big to go in to scoop out the debris. I realised that removing the tank would be a whole lot more work.

In one of those silly “must get this job done asap” moments I decided to suck out the debris using the suction hose extension of our upright vacuum cleaner. I put the entire vacuum cleaner in the boot and the hose into the tank. To see what I was doing, I had to climb in the boot alongside it. I was just about to press the “on” switch when something said “STOP!”

Sucking petrol fumes and compressing them into a sparking electric motor, inside a confined space with me lying next to it…what could possibly go wrong?

I sheepishly spent a couple of hours taking out the tank out, inverted it  and shook out the debris. It was a horrible job

Not long afterwards, I bought a car mechanics magazine. Someone had written in because they had done exactly what I nearly did, i.e. they sucked up some petrol with a vacuum cleaner. All that was left of it was the lower frame and the motor. The case had completely disintegrated into sharp shards of shrapnel. Lessons were learned…