DIY Alignment?

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC 3.5__
  2. I’m based near: Ludlow __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Alignment __

My car’s off the road for the winter and has been in bits whilst fitting new shocks/lowering springs and removing /cleaning all the suspension arms . I’ve also had new tyres fitted as the old ones were perished due to age and I will need to get it MOT’d as soon as it comes out of storage.

It’s all back together now but obviously the alignment/geometry is going to be all messed up. I intend to have it professionally set up but can I do anything at home (roughly/basic settings) as I’m probably a couple of hours drive from where I’d like to have it done and don’t want to scrub the new tyres getting there?

Has anyone got any experience with the basic gauges you buy off the internet?

When I built a westfield kit car and when we were setting up F3 cars we made use of the lazer levels you can buy in lidl and aldi.
Because they set a vertical and horizontal line you can use a pair of them to create a lazer box around the car.
you can then use tape measures to basically align the wheels.

1 Like

I have this Buy Trackace Laser Wheel Alignment Gauge - TAG01 | Demon Tweeks (demon-tweeks.com) and this Buy ADA Castor Camber Gauge - CG | Demon Tweeks (demon-tweeks.com)
:heart:

1 Like

Thanks for that Deano, ex Westfield owner here too. I’ve had four!

Thanks Malc although it’s probably the caster and camber that I’ve probably upset the most.

You can (fairly accurately) set tracking with two lengths of string. (Oh no you can’t, oh yes you can!) loads of videos on t’ tube

You can also buy a half decent magnetic camber gauge for under £10 which I think can be used to measure caster angles if you are smart enough.

Being a classic car nut reminds me that even race cars were set up accurately before the advent of Lasers

Ps it’s LASER not LAZER. It’s an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

1 Like

I set my alignment after fitting lowering springs, I used two string lines for setting the toe, (there is a lot of setting and re setting the strings if you don’t have a way of fixing them to the car), as you need to roll the car between each adjustment, I made a camber gauge by making a large protractor which was the same size as the wheel, and used a plumb line to set the angles, I also used it to set the castor angle, it took a long time but was quite enjoyable.

1 Like

I gave you a link to the castor/camber guage that I use------
:hearts:

Cant help with Diy alignment but I Could help out with full Hunter Alignment for a few beer tokens when your car is back on the road (as long as all your adjustment bolts are free)
Im Only in shrewsbury so not that far.
Not a garage just tinker for fun

4 Likes

Apologies I missed that! Cheers :+1:

1 Like

Wow that would be brilliant thank you! :grinning: I definitely thought I’d have to travel further. Have you got all that kit at home?

1 Like

Yes I have ,its amazing what you can find on ebay.
I got it from a SEAT dealership that was closing down.
Just pm me when your car is on the road and we can sort it out. :+1:

2 Likes

Garage envy is now consuming me!!!
:heart:

2 Likes

Yeah total garage envy here too, I thought I was lucky having a portable scissor lift! :rofl:

That’s brilliant and thanks again I’ll definitely be in touch in the spring :+1:

Another Westfielder here! Had 3, now onto my 4th.

DIY alignment is easy enough, certainly for a short drive to somewhere for a final setting. Just get the wheels pointing about upright (spirit level will do the job) and them pointing about straight (bit of string between two axle stands down each side of the car, align wheels to string), it won’t fire you off the road if you drive accordingly. Enjoy.

1 Like

Thanks for that Adam I’ll give it a try :+1:

No problem👍