Do it myself

In the interests of being a bit old school and doing it myself I plan on doing engine oil and filter change, gear old change, diff oil change.
Iv’e got a 2008 NC. I reckon on 5 litres of [Petronas Syntium 3000 FR 5W-30 Oil 5L and 3 litres (is this enough?) of either Halfords or Comma 80W90 Gear oil.

Any hot tips or things i should be prepared for? Have been a lazy arsed company car driver for 30 years and have avoided any DIY maintenance wherever possible

Hi Steveo , It’s a fairly easy DIY service (mostly its an easy car to work on).

Just be careful.

1. Make sure its safe and secure before you crawl under neath.
  2. Make sure you have new replacement crush washers for sump, gearbox & Diff.
  3. I used “Castrol Syntrans 75W90” for my gearbox and it seems fine but some cars are stiff to change gear when cold and DuratecNC (on here) sells a magic version that normally improves shift quality.
  4. You will need a pump or at least a long tube to fill the gearbox with oil (and makes it easier on diff as well). I used a long tube sealed to the top of the bottle and squeeze’d the oil in (but a pump would be better/easier).

You can save a fortune and learn a lot about your car doing simple servicing. (while underneath look for bits that need a clean / rust treating etc, it will then last a lot longer.)

Cheers Das

2 Likes

And don’t forget to undo the filler bungs 1st, just in case!!!
:heart:

As above post really with the exception of you want spec GL4 for gearbox and GL4/5 for diff (green bottle)
My selection below pic, 2 x1 litre bottles for the gearbox, 1 x 1 litre for the diff
On the 6 speed you’ll get all of the 2 ltrs in the gearbox and almost all of the 1 litre in the diff.

Engine oil is more of a brand preference, you have the correct thoughts for grade, the main thing.:+1:
The oil filter is a pain to gain access to, especially for a driveway DIY job. Left front off the ground car securely supported and you’ll find it inconveniently located forward of the cross member there. I use a 3 claw oil removal tool on my ratchet bar.
You can also get to the drain plug on the sump from the other side of the car (just) whilst the car is in the above position. If the car is lowered then a little more faff in getting in there, ask me how I know.:grin:

If you do any digging into the forum you’ll find quite a lot of recommended oils, particularly if you have a notchy gear change between 1st and 2nd when cold. Personally I’ve used Redline. In addition to the gearbox and diff don’t forget to refill the turret.

Job done. Put the car on 4 stands which made everything easier. My nephew is a mechanic and could have bunged him 50 quid to do the lot but a lot more enjoyable and satisfying to do it myself. Although diff capacity is 0.7lt, only drained about less than 0.5ltrs which was surprising.

2 Likes

They underfilled the diffs from the factory so it may have never been changed. Bet it smelt a bit

1 Like