Do you need to replace the washers on the diff plugs when changing the oil?

Hi,
While my diff. oil is draining, do you have to/should you replace the washers at the same time or can they be re-used?

This is a Mk1 1.8 with standard diff.

I’ve got away with reusing them but as a second or third attempt at reuse it’s best to just replace. Depends how crushed they are of course, just get new would be the advice.

ALWAYS replace them!

They only cost pennies, equivalent to a few minutes of your time.

When the dealer changed the diff oil on my Niseko several years ago they re-used the fill washer, because they “had run out of stock”.

However the diff lost quite a lot of oil over the next few hundred miles before I could get it back to them for a free repair and new washers and complete new oil.

Diff oil pongs, and it conveniently drops on the exhaust to remind you it is leaking, and so double-pongs when hot.

3 Likes

As RichardFX says, better to replace as they are crush washers, you may get away with reusing but don’t risk it if you don’t have to!

I always replace mine, whatever car or bike oil I’m changing.

I was quite surprised at just how strong smelling it was. I recently did the diff oil in my other car and it had barely any smell at all, but it uses different oil (and doesn’t use crush washers).

I actually had seen your Niseko thread which is why I asked in case there was a difference for the Mk1 because they don’t look like the crushable washers I’ve seen before, but they felt odd to the touch, not like normal metal washers.

Anyway, guess it’s a pack of these and I’ll be good to go:

Since it says those also fit the engine oil sump plug, does that mean the washer that came with my oil filter can also be used on the diff so that I can at least fill the diff while awaiting the other washers? (the car isn’t going anywhere).

1 Like