Dodged a bullet

1. My model of MX-5 is: __93 Roadster Auto
  2. I’m based near: __Stirling
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __N/App

Relieved today.
Had to buy a whole Autotrans to get a crucial sensor lead that activates O’drive
These boxes are essentially 3 speeders with O’d that activates at an odd 34 mph…oh no…not 30mph!
I could have ordered the (guess-the-fault) sensor lead for £138.00 (!) from Japan…if I did not mind it being stuck in the High Seas for months.
Got a whole box including ECU & converter for £200.00 delivered. Garage ( fingers crossed) extracted the precious lead, put it on mine, and despite a misfire we know is caused by a split plug lead…got it hot and Presto…O’d activated. Otherwise, it’d have been out with the current box and again fingers crossed in with the used spare. Expensive…
Anyway, they test drove it and got it up to 75mph by wrapping the duff No 1 lead in leccy tape and it went into O/d…so they say.
I’ll test it myself when they get the new leads on but so far…it’s possibly a £50.00 bill and not £400.00.
Hopefully that will be that mechanically given, as some know, everything else under there is only 18 months old following the restoration.
He’s not going to get caned any more as I did for everyday work for years…gentler retirement cruises when Wee Queen Nippy in Holyrood says it’s safe, legal, & OK and lets Her Peepull Go.

Fingers crossed anyhow.

12 Likes

Hi

Good that you got it sorted.

My torque converter/ input seal is leaking (badly) any chance you could get the sizes off the seal.

I’m having a big problem trying to get one.

Maybe with the sizes I can locate one before stripping mine out.

Blimey that’s not good. And rare. Never heard of it.
Are you 1840cc Jatco like mine or earlier 1600cc…they are different.
I’ll see what I can see tomorrow at the engineers.

Edit:
Meantime try a bottle of Forte auto conditioner. It allegedly…allegedly…swells the seals up a bit.
Certainly made my upchanges on full kickdown smoother. Good for PAS as well.

It’s a 1600 :woozy_face: guess your seal set would be different

Will see it I can get some additive, but never had much luck with them, but worth a try.

Thanks for getting back to me :+1:

1 Like

Really sorry I cannot assist.
Push to shove, if it gets terminal, I think Andrew at Autolink Dumfries has a 1600 tranny, but you’d need your existing sump pan which is no biggy.

All is well.
O/drive perfect.
Popped on a full set of leads to cure misfiring.
Went like the wind.
Next jobs are fit a new engine tray, oil, filter & plugs.
Probably pop in a bottle of American Forte Auto conditioner.
Anyway, that’s enough for one day!