Does a 2.0L MX-5 NA exist?

I’m looking at buying an MX-5 NA, and I found a listing for a “1996 2.0i SE Limited Edition” vehicle. I can’t seem to find much about it online - is this actually a combination that was sold or is the listing just incorrect?

Incorrect tippy tappy on the wrong keys by the operator.
NC had a 2 litre SE, that’s the input mistake.

1 Like

To my knowledge - the 2.0ltr motor was only introduced in 2005 with the NC model.

1 Like

Thank you both! Sounds like it’s probably not worth the extra I was originally willing to pay for it being a 2L :grin:

Have you got a link, might give us some more clues ?

Yep, it’s https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402116468411. It seems to be in good condition overall - not sure what the going rate is for a car in that condition (i.e. if that’s a good price or not), but I guess I need to find out if it’s a 1.6L or 1.8L.

Only came from the factory with a 1.6 or 1.8.
Depends on whether the current owner has all the details. Good luck.

Check its MOT history!

1 Like

Here’s the details via gov.uk

1 Like

Thanks! I tried looking it up on the DVLA database but I thought the “1” was an “I” (uppercase i)! :man_facepalming: Cheers :+1:

You would have thought the seller would check his listing out and correct it.:thinking:

Obviously a typo but a 2.0 NA and 2.0 NB did actually exist; the latter was a show car, the MPS, which had a 2.0 BP motor

2001 MPS concept

mazda performance series

The less well known 2.0 made it to limited production. The 1996 Mazdaspeed C-Spec, the looks were controversial, the price incredible.

1000466a30170417w002-thumbnail2

This thing was 5.3 million yen in 1998. Less than 10 were sold. Mazdaspeed then sold off the moulds, so there are replicas out there,

The c spec front end reminds me of a Marcos Mantis .
Another option is a Honda K20 swap.

Or SR20,2-AZ, Duratec etc etc etc

Meanwhile the seller posts a picture of a BP engine

2016; Rotted offside sill, both front wings rusted
2017; Rotted nearside sill
2019; Both sills rotted (earlier repairs were obviously patches)

Major work was done +4 years ago, probably still ok.

It’s lost the original rear bumper at sometime. UK car but missing the UK spec foglight. Maybe the owner didn’t like the old foglight, maybe its had a hit at sometime. Check under the boot carpet. Look beyond the boot rear arches for signs of the wheel arches being done, not just the sills.

I think a £4-5k car. Obvously not a “SE”, probably a 1.8iS.

1 Like

The pics are of the correct engine for a 96 NA. Checking the MOT should tell you whether it’s a 1.6 or a 1.8. Definitely not a 2.0.

This is not to say there’s no such thing as a 2.0 NA or NB as all sorts of engine swaps are done, up to 5.7 litre V8s, which actually fit well as they’re still also only 4 cylinders long. With a cam they produce up to 575hp.

The engine is clearly a 1.8. 1.6 NAs of all years had the old Bosch flapper AFM and intake pipe with Helmholtz chmber.

1996 1.6

Stroker 2.0 BP

Not sure I ever had a 1.8 NA so I bow to your better knowledge.

Yes, I suppose it would be possible to bore and stroke a 1.8 to 2.0. Is that a real pic of such a thing?

Yes. It is not a fake photo. Maruha does a stroker kit for the BP, as did Mazdaspeed and Mazda. Refer to the thread content.

Only need to stroke, no need to bore.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.