Does my car have airbags?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1990 NA (Non-Import)
  2. I’m based near: Chesterfield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Airbags (need to bypass in order to access and area of electrics that needs looking at)

——————————————————————————————

Hi all.

So I’m taking my MX-5 apart from the first time to fix some electrical issues with the headlights. And part of this process requires dismantling the dashboard, so the steering wheel needs to come off.

I am armed with a Haynes manual so (theoretically) all should go smoothly - I’ve used these before, with E-Types

My NA isn’t an import, yet it has the wooden Nardi Torino steering wheel that you commonly find on most Eunos Roadsters from Japan.

According to the manual, ALL models of MX-5 NA came with airbags, so by that logic, mine should have at least the equipment for it if not the airbag too.

The Nardi steering wheel, as I’m sure you’re aware, has a classic resemblance similar to the Jaguar E-Type, wooden in construction, with a metal spoke/small centre.

For that reason, it doesn’t LOOK like it has an airbag, but considering it is branded online as a ‘Genuine Mazda Part’, I’m unsure.

To save me blowing myself up and imprinting the Nardi logo on my noggin, can someone enlighten me as to whether it has an airbag fitted? Or is my hunch correct considering the style of wheel that is it?

Cheers,
Mike

No UK spec 1990 MX-5s had any type of airbag or any other pyrotechnic devices fitted. Any device containing a pyrotechnic device on a vehicle will be marked as such.

I think the Haynes manual is probably the worst available for MX5. I would say no air bag but I’m not an expert.

1 Like

The Haynes manual is incorrect. As per Robbie’s reply above.

Post a photo of your wheel if you want to be 100% sure.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I do also have a restoration manual, but I’m unsure as to whether it would list something as menial as this.

I’ve posted a photo. Sorry for the poor quality, and the fact the car is a mess. This was only a couple days after I bought it.

It has since been returned to splendor!

Cheers,
~ Mike

1 Like

Rod Graingers was the recommended manual when I bought my 1st MX5

3 Likes

Great! I just need to find one for the 1.6 :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

In case anyone comes across this thread in the future, later mk1’s did have an airbag fitted, so it depends on year and possibly model.

Whilst it should be obvious - the centre boss that contains the airbag is quite chunky compared to modern wheels, please err on the side of caution and unclip any covers from the side of the wheel where possible.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty comprehensive what my answer is. I’ll be disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery just incase anyway.

I’ll need to to play with electrical systems anyway

Cheers Ian :muscle:
~ Mike