Dog in MX5- Car seat cover?

I am wondering about travelling with my dog in my MX5 - I only take him in a car to the vets and kennels. But I want to make sure that he doesnt scratch the leather seat.

Has anyone else bought a protective car seat cover- whichone did you buy - how much did it cost and is it any good?

Alternatively my hubby reckons a sheet would do !!! any thoughts welcome.

Take the passenger seat out - it takes less than a minute once you’ve had a bit of practice.

Plus it’s impossible to damage something that isn’t there.

I have made a point of not picking up dogs LOLClapping hands in the aircan I say that ! 

Oh you mean family pets oooppps sorry Whistling

Alan 

Let it ride in the foot well for a short distance.

Yes I mean my family pet !!!Embarassed ahem!

Oh … you can take the whole seat out ?I will investigate that when I take possession.

It’s a small dog and if he is sitting in the foot well he could still scratch the front of the seat. Sad

Hi

I brought a seat cover for mine to protect the leather seat as I use the car every day for work , the cover cost me £29.00 well made and good fit HD make and universal fit

Hope that helps

Andy 

Four bolts to undo, then just lift it out. You’ll need a socket set. And somewhere dry and safe to leave your seat…

Our Westie comes everywhere with us in the car, generally he travels in the footwell with the AC on in the hot weather. If I am on my own with him then a towel tucked around the seat does the job, and a dog harness keeps him from sliding around, but the leather on these seats is pretty tough and I have never noticed any scratches.

Enjoy the VS - we love ours.

Thanks for the info everyone -

NIck and Jane - do you use a dog harness whilst he is sitting in the footwell? Where does it attach ?

Hiya, no he is loose in the footwell, only use the harness, which attaches to the seat belt when he is on the seat or on Janes lap.

Hi, when I can get our Rotti into the car I cover the seat with a curtain that has loops on, these are handy as I fit the headrest stays through them (of course that only works if they’re detatchable Wink).He wears a harnes that fits to the seatbelt but I also tie his lead to the cabin brace bar on the door side of his seat (as he is so big he can still try getting across to me while I’m driving). unfortunately being so big the footwell isn’t comfortable for him.

I haven’t driven with him in the car & roof down as I’m not totally convinced it would be safe but interested to know others opinions, I have seen a labrador sitting in the footwell unharnessed & roof down being chauffered. Dog

Thanks for all the info.

I will get the sewing machine out and create some kind of seat protector -may be towel and old curtain will do the trick ! also  cheaper in the long run -.

Big Smile

I bought a pair of these which are made of wipe clean nylon, big enough to go over the head rests and have elastic loops on the bottom which hook round the springs on the seat base to keep everything in place. Not particularly heavy duty but can’t complain at £11.99 the pair. Roll up quite small and can be stowed away in the cubby hole at the side of the boot.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_186481_langId_-1_categoryId_165658#dtab

Hello All. I just bought one of these on Amazon. Decent quality. Very easy to install. Fits well. Has a skirt to protect the seat all the way down to the floor. Clips round the head rest and a second strap anchors it lower down, round the back of the seat to hold it in place. It’s also got a rubber backing to prevent it slipping. It comes with a lead that clips in to the seat belt socket.
Highly recommended!

Alfheim Nonslip Rubber Backing Front Seat Cover with Anchor and an Adjustable Pet Dog Car Seat, Black, One Size https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018HL9H6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_k7UMn5XiCzJdq

All this just to take Mutley to the vet ? Couple of old newspapers would do the job…,
or the boot, perhaps…?

several people have previously praised these for the cost

https://www.aldi.co.uk/heavy-duty-front-seat-protectors/p/701143356007201

spotted as the battery trickle chargers are back on offer this weekend also

:rofl: Whatever makes sense for you is good.:grin:

1 Like