Dreaming of a BBR Stage 2 turbo for my 2008 mk3

Hi folks. I’ve got a 2.0 Sport mk3 of 2008 vintage and I’d really like to make it something special ”inside” as well as out (it looks lovely and it’s well cared for). The car has done 53k and it loses no oil whatsoever. I’m eyeing the Stage 2 turbo as it’s the most BBR power you can get without substantial engine overhauls. I do have some concerns/issues I’d like to air, however and input/clarification would be helpful. The first thing is that as an older mk3, the rngine is apparently “softer”. Is it up to almost 300bhp or will the upgrade knacker it very wui? Also, will I need to pay out even more than the £8034.00 inc VAT to get the suspension lowered or will it run ok on the standard set up? Do you have to pay extra Road tax? also, what are the insurance implications? Finally, I’ve not driven an example yet: am I wasting my idle hours or is it really worth £2k more than I paid for the car itself to get the improvements done?

Thanks Richard. Good advice, though I’ve a feeling if I test drive one at BBR, I’ll end up committing to buy before I’ve got the money saved up! ??

IMO to consider a turbo without getting the suspension sorted is a a big NO. Why not consider having the BBR200 conversion along with a set of Meister R or Ohlin coilovers which will transform your car. In modern Britain‘s crowded roads with speed cameras everywhere 200bhp is more tan enough to take full enjoyment of your 5.

What you spend on the car you will never get back, so be prepared to keep it or take a big hit when you sell. I was fortunate enough to buy my car from someone who had spent twice as much on extras as I paid for the car and even then I’m still finding things to spend money on. Here is a list of my mods and upgrades.

Engine/Driveline:

BBR/AT Power 42mm ‘Super 225’ individual throttle body conversion, BBR Super 200 cams, BBR EcuTek remap, Racing Beat 4-1 stainless steel exhaust manifold, GWR Roadstersport 2.5 inch stainless mid pipe with 200 cell sports cat, GWR Roadstersport ‘Super Q’ silencer, Supertech uprated valve springs, Supertech Ti valve spring retainers, K&N air filter in modified OEM housing with 3 inch MAF housing, Odula RS intake scoop, modified breather/PCV system with catch can, Competition Clutch 5.35kg lightweight flywheel, Flyin’ Miata Level 1 clutch

Chassis: 

Ohlins’Road&Track’ DFV coilovers, Eibach anti-roll bars with Superpro bushes, ILM chassis braces (front/middle/rear lower), Auto-Exe Japan front upper strut brace

Braking:

DBA 4000 T3/T2 slotted discs, Mintex M1166 pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Beatrush master cylinder brace

Exterior:

Integral Kobe Jet’s ‘Master Spec’ carbon fibre front lip, Carbonmiata rear duck-tail spoiler, Mazdaspeed side skirts, Rota Force 17x8 w/ AD08R or Rota Blitz 17x7.5 wheels w/ Blizzak LM25V2, NC2 rear end conversion with appearance pack diffuser & black mirrors, IL Motorsport hydraulic bonnet lifters, Delrin door bushes, IL Motorsport LED DRL/ Fogs

Interior:

Custom Premium Black Nappa seats, door tops and door cards with perforated diamond centres and red stitching, Custom thickened/ re-trimmed steering wheel by Royal Steering Wheels, OEM dark silver dash fascia panel, AEM digital UEGO wideband AFR gauge (30-4110) fitted in air vent, Liberal Japan Leather door pull covers, Liberal Japan Leather door armrest covers, Nappa Leather gear and handbrake boots, OEM piano black interior door handle pulls, IL Motorsport satin finish interior trim highlights (pedals, vent rings and heater dials), IL Motorsport centre console storage tray with USB power point, TWM Performance ‘Big Type R’ heavyweight stainless steel gear knob (satin finish), Flocked dash cowl, OEM boot liner, Alpine IVE-W535BT double din stereo with USB, Bluetooth and iPhone control, Dynamat Xtreme lined door cards, TapTurn indicator unit

Hi I have a 2.0 sport 2008 NC1 with 50,000 miles on the clock. I have done the following;

• Fitted an ebay 4 into 1 stainless steel manifold - £150 - immediate release of power
  • Pipercross panel filter second hand - £15 - nice induction sound and hopefully aids easier breathing in conjunction with the manifold
  • RX8 ARB's front and back (yellow dots) - second hand £60 - completely changed the handling characteristics, as I cannot lower the car as it is used all year round, in Reading, the capital of potholes and speed humps!
A nice set up for £210, will get a remap when funds permit.

Cheers

Derek

Hmm, I knew it woukd be an extravagance so I’m not after money back - just enjoyment. I simply don’t know how the relative options feel to drive. I’ve got time to think it through - a part of me thinks “in for a penny in fora pound” and another voice is saying get the best for your money ??. Some fantastic options there - and great value improvements too.

Hi Tommy

I fitted the stage 2 kit to my 2009 car earlier this year (at which point it had done 51k miles) and have since done about 3,000 miles.  I’d fitted the BBR suspension a couple of months beforehand and would say sorting the suspension first is a must - the car feels much more planted than with the OEM suspension, and you need all the help you can get to transmit 300bhp to the road!

I’d echo the above point that you really need to drive BBR’s demo.  It totally transforms the car and makes it laugh out loud to drive.  The only negative for me is the car’s now pretty noisy and you get a loud backfire pop every time you get back onto the throttle - which is entertaining when you’re in the mood, but annoying when you’re not.  This is a mapping issue (BBR said it’s to do with the high airflow the turbo generates through the MAF sensor, but no other turbo car I’ve driven does it…).  I had to start doing a longer motorway commute and am about to swap to a quieter rear box as I struggle to hear the radio over the din.

Insurance - depends on your age etc.  I’m with A Plan and it cost me £425 including business use - which I was told was the minimum premium on that policy type.  I’m 49 with full NCB and clean licence.

Reliability so far has been fine - the only issue was an oil leak due to a bung in the oil filter sandwich plate which wasn’t properly sealed - BBR sent a replacement very quickly.  

Yes, it does require a large dose of man maths!  I paid £8k for my car 2.5 years ago, and then spent slightly more than that with BBR.  But I’ve always enjoyed modding my cars.

Any other questions, ask.

Dave

Hey Dave that’s really helpful! I was wondering about the noise issue. I’d like my car to stay a “sleeper” as much as possible and a snorty backfire doesn’t exactly help. Does the road tax change? It seems to me that a chat with BBR followed by a drive of a few upgrade options, rather than just the Stage Two, are required. Do you feel that your upgrades have been worth it? 

I am look ta more power but I am going down the supercharger route rather than turbo but I echo what has been said before get you suspension sorted first and brakes then have a look 

the supercharge setup is around 6K for 300 bhp by the way 

Whatever you do to your car the Road Tax will always be the same as it was ex factory.

As above, road tax doesn’t change.

I don’t agree that the brakes need upgrading - unless you’re going to track the car or are very heavy on the brakes.  I find the standard brakes more than up to the job of slowing down 300 bhp for road use.

Dave

Re superchargers, I was going to supercharge mine originally, but my understanding is they’re not as efficient as turbos.  I almost bought a ready converted BBR supercharged MX5 but got gazumped.  It was quick, but you’re limited to about 250bhp due to poor charge air cooling in that setup.  The Corten Miller setup gets over those issues and would certainly be worth a look.

Dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for your useful comments. Looks like I need to keep saving! Ok - first the suspension and thereafter the engine. Why is everything you want so bloody expensive?

Hi Dave. Thanks for your useful comments. Looks like I need to keep saving! Ok - first the suspension and thereafter the engine. Why is everything you want so bloody expensive?

Route I took was;

Racing Beat exhaust, no cats etc but quiet as stock

Yellow stuff cut n grooved discs with pads to match

Meister coil overs via WIM

BBR stage two and a half

Result 310bhp with safe stopping and cornering at speed

Agreed value insurance for £15k

Love it !! 

That sounds fantastic! Performance without garishness ??

Hi Valve

What is the stage two and a half?  I know there’s a one and a half (stage 1 with uprated clutch allowing more boost but with standard exhaust), but not heard of stage two and a half!

Thanks

Dave

Thats how it was described by BBR as was over their normal st2 bhp probably because I have no cats or silencers apart from the rear box so minimal back pressure. I had the zorst and suspension done before the turbo install. I also had to change the oil once it was done too.