Dremmel or similar

Thinking of obtaining one of these rotary multi-tool devices, welcome observations on which brand/kit is worth considering?

I got myself this Sealey kit last year after a lot of looking around: Sealey Multipurpose Rotary Tool & Engraver Kit 219pc 230V - E5188 5024209812337 | eBay

It’s a great thing, nice and powerful and maintains torque and speed well under pressure, comes with a flexible detail extension and loads of bits.

1 Like

Keep this in tthe van. Very handy and being cordless means it can go anywhere

1 Like

I use a Dremel Multi Tool, which has the flexible attachment.
Great for small spaces and good for intricate work.
ÂŁ62.99 all in at Screwfix.

1 Like

Been thinking of using a dremel on the small corrosion spots I’ve found on the wheel arch lips that tuck underneath on my 11 NC. I thought it would be ideal for stripping things back to bare metal in the limited places I can see/feel, before applying rust prevention chemicals, etc. I could use a small wire brush, but I suspect the dremel will be more precise and provide a smoother surface for subsequent touching up.

I bought one over 20 years ago.
It’s a corded one. It was a cheap unbranded one and it’s still going strong…

I bought one of these Sealey kits a couple of years ago. It was recommended to me and it’s been brilliant.

1 Like

I have the full Dremmel kit, and am basically very happy, however I would make the following observation.
The rotary wire brushes are too soft for anything other than cleaning bare metal surfaces, you need to remove paint etc. with something stronger

2 Likes

I have three! Dremel corded, Dremel cordless and cheapo Parkside lidl/Aldi jobby. They all work well. corded definitely heavier duty (I used it to port a pair of Ali V8 cylinder heads). Cordless much more convenient until the battery runs out - hence why I have two. Rarely use the corded one anymore - can’t think when I used it last.

2 Likes

I got a branded one with a cord a couple of years ago, thought it might prove useful to clean the head lights after my toothpaste and autosol combined with elbow grease proved insufficient. The dremel did not help either what I really needed was a Bosch power drill and autoglym products. Still I dare say the dremel will come in handy if I ever get round to striping my Madge down to the last nut and bolt and cleaning all the parts up for reassembly.

2 Likes

Had a few of these
Few dremels corded and cordless
I do prefer battery ones but end up buying the
Bosch Professional GRO 12 V-35 Cordless Rotary Multi-Tool
Can buy this bare or with batterys with Lbox etc
Can register this online and extended warranty on it
Same collet size (3mm)

One use just now ive had for about 5 years
Still going strong
Defintely last lot longer thsn dermels

1 Like

I have had a Dremel 8220 that I have used extensively in my workshop up until a thieving â– â– â– â–  broke in and took a few of my tools. I replaced it with a Dremel 3000 wired which is ok for the workshop however I do miss my 8220. For me the biggest benefit for the Dremel is to be able to use their small chuck for drilling and clamping any tool up to 3mm in diameter

2 Likes

Have used a corded dremel on smaller jobs and general tasks and could not recommend more!

1 Like

Had a Dremmel for years, mainly used on wood. One comment would be that there are a lot of rubbish tools and accessories avaliable. Dremmel branded stuff is good, others I have had have lasted two minumtes. Seen a “200 peice accessory set” for £10? Save yourself £10…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.