Driver's window has stopped working when open

1. My model of MX-5 is: _NC1 rag top
  2. I’m based near: _Bristol
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: powered window faults

Hello, Hive mind. Yesterday, my powered window stopped working when fully open. I have established that the correct voltage is getting to the motor power connector when the switch is operated. If I select down on the switch, I can hear the motor jolt as if to open further; however, if I select up, there is no sound. I am just about to take the inner door panels apart to get to the motor.

Any suggestions of possible causes and repairs? Can easily get the windows to fully closed position if I have to wait for part?

Thanks in anticipation.

I would look closely at the pair of switches first, they do cause problems when worn. Had to replace my NC1 switch when the contacts (drivers side) had worn.

1 Like

Thanks, Mick, I will do that because it is quite straightforward to get to the switches. However, when I operate the switches, the correct voltages appear at the motor connector, but it is possible the voltage drops under load. Dismantling the complete door looks like a faf, though I read the similar topic on an ND, which is very different layout but seems to have same window motor regulator

So the problem has gone away after dismantling the switch down to the pcb, finding no obvious poor connections and reassembling. So a loose connection probably in the connector, so maybe I will bend a few pins for better contact.

1 Like