Drives from whitby

Hi 

I am lucky too be having a long weekend in Whitby travelling from Kent , can any locals advise drives out starting from Whitby could be all day or a couple of hours 

many thanks Gbay. Graham

I am not local but on the B1416 (south of Ruswarp) there is a junction with Foss Ln and a minor lane (St Winifrids) the blue sign say unsuitable for caravans!
The road drops down through Littlebeck then climbs up to the A169 Pickering to Whitby.
1 in 4 downhill then 1 in 6 uphill if I remember correctly, look on G Maps it is a great if somewhat short drive.

1 Like

Guess that you’ll be approaching Whitby via the A169 (turn off from the A64).  The A169’s a great top-down drive over the moors, from Pickering through to Whitby.  Also just as you turn on to the A169 from the A64 there’s Eden Camp - WW2 POW camp, with displays in each hut about various aspects of the war, memorabilia etc - it’s quite good.

Additionally it’s a nice run down the A171 to Scarborough, plus there’s Sutton Bank on the A170 just on the other side of Helmsley - North Yorkshire Moors Visitor Centre is located at the top of the Bank.

Helmsley itself is a nice little town; if you’re a fan of Heartbeat you might like to visit Goathland - aka “Aidensfield” - quite near Whitby; while “The Royal” was filmed in Scarborough, the building used as the hospital is on Holbeck Road; Scarborough Castle’s good to visit as well.

Further afield, it’s quite a nice trip over to Fountains Abbey & the Studley Royal Estate (National Trust / English Heritage) near Ripon.

I visit Whitby about 4 times a year, love that place; Whitby Abbey’s worth a visit & also the church near the abbey’s interesting, still has the box pews & some of the timbers in the roof were recycled from the old sailing ships.  Nice walk along the River Esk at the side of the railway (public footpath) to Ruswarp - access from the far end of the big car park near the Co-Op.  The best takeaway fish & chips in my opinion can be found at the Magpie, that establishment has a very good restaurant too.

Also there’s a little (& newly opened) Whitby Jet Museum - jet is fossilised monkey puzzle tree bark, quite rare & prized by the Victorians who used it for jewellery - inside the old church hall which is on the main street heading up towards the Abbey.

Fun too fossil hunting on the beach at the base of East Cliff (below the abbey) - do check the tides beforehand though of course because the sea can come in quickly there & folk have been cut off by the rising water.

Hope that you enjoy your weekend!  

1 Like

Everywhere is great round North Yorkshire Moors.
Look at Whitby, Goathland, Egton Bridge, Rosedale Abbey then up Rosedale Chimney over the moor to Hutton-le-hole down to the A170 towards Pickering then back to Whitby via the A169 or you can turn left at the lights in Pickering and go via the back roads.
Enjoy your weekend

Thank you very helpful am looking forward to getting on the moors 

Guess that you’ll be approaching Whitby via the A169 (turn off from the A64).  The A169’s a great top-down drive over the moors, from Pickering through to Whitby.  Also just as you turn on to the A169 from the A64 there’s Eden Camp - WW2 POW camp, with displays in each hut about various aspects of the war, memorabilia etc - it’s quite good.

Additionally it’s a nice run down the A171 to Scarborough, plus there’s Sutton Bank on the A170 just on the other side of Helmsley - North Yorkshire Moors Visitor Centre is located at the top of the Bank.

Helmsley itself is a nice little town; if you’re a fan of Heartbeat you might like to visit Goathland - aka “Aidensfield” - quite near Whitby; while “The Royal” was filmed in Scarborough, the building used as the hospital is on Holbeck Road; Scarborough Castle’s good to visit as well.

Further afield, it’s quite a nice trip over to Fountains Abbey & the Studley Royal Estate (National Trust / English Heritage) near Ripon.

I visit Whitby about 4 times a year, love that place; Whitby Abbey’s worth a visit & also the church near the abbey’s interesting, still has the box pews & some of the timbers in the roof were recycled from the old sailing ships.  Nice walk along the River Esk at the side of the railway (public footpath) to Ruswarp - access from the far end of the big car park near the Co-Op.  The best takeaway fish & chips in my opinion can be found at the Magpie, that establishment has a very good restaurant too.

Also there’s a little (& newly opened) Whitby Jet Museum - jet is fossilised monkey puzzle tree bark, quite rare & prized by the Victorians who used it for jewellery - inside the old church hall which is on the main street heading up towards the Abbey.

Fun too fossil hunting on the beach at the base of East Cliff (below the abbey) - do check the tides beforehand though of course because the sea can come in quickly there & folk have been cut off by the rising water.

Hope that you enjoy your weekend!  

[/quote]

Thank you all very helpful can’t wait too get on. the Moors.

Hi
Thanks for info ,can’t wait too get on the moors like the sound of those hills

Hi
Thanks for info ,can’t wait too get on the moors like the sound of those hills

Rosedale chimney has a gradient of 33%… Don’t try it if it’s frosty

Rosedale chimney has a gradient of 33%… Don’t try it if it’s frosty

Hi Graham,

Enjoy your visit to God’s country, I think that you will enjoy a drive on any of the B roads that the MX5 was made for.

It might be worth checking out some of the tulip routes on the local YR site http://www.mx5yorkshire.co.uk/all-about-runs/tulip-maps-archive/

Robin Hoods Bay just south of Whitby is worth the walk from the car parks down the steep hill to the narrow streets, cafes, pubs & beach. If you are visiting out of season, then all might not be open and remember to bring a warm coat, as it is a few degrees cooler up north, especially when a cold wind blows from the East.

My favourite drive is the bikers Helmsley TT (B1257 from Helmsley to  Stokesley). In Great Aston (near Stokesley) there is the Captain Cook school museum.

I’d recommend a visit to the lovely village of Hutton-le-Hole (near Pickering) and then drive north on Blakey Ridge to the Lion Inn (http://www.lionblakey.co.uk/), bring a big appetite for proper Yorkshire portions. If you are visiting in the winter and snow is forecast, then be prepared to book a room (see snow photos on their web site). A couple of miles past the Lion turn right and take the road back towards Pickering via Rosedale Abbey (this route does not include the steep chimney hill) and  Cropton (try a beer in New Inn/brewery http://www.newinncropton.co.uk/the-brewery/).

Have a good time.

George

A good circular drive over the moors is as follows:

A169 to Sleights and then right turn to Grosmont.
Continue to Egton then left for Egton Bridge
Then across the moors to Rosedale Abbey.
Up Rosedale Chimney to Hutton le Hole.
Continue to A170 and turn left for Pickering.
In Pickering turn left for Station and then follow road alongside railway through Newton on Rawcliffe
Then follow Wheeldale Road back to Grosmont.

You can visit North York Moors Railway in Grosmont.
Hutton le Hole is very nice for a walk around with good pubs for lunch
Go and see the Roman Road on Wheeldale Moor.

Also worth a visit is Beck Hole with good walks into Goathland where you can visit Mallyan Spout waterfall and back to Beck Hole.

1 Like

All the suggested routes look good. I’ve done the one suggested by ‘PR - Yorkshire’ and it’s a really good one with lovely scenery and not too much traffic.

Enjoy and happy motoring.

Andrew

A few hours in Grosmont, watch the steam engines come in and out. Visit the engine sheds.

I really like being a Yorkshireman! 

Barrie

Much as I wish it were ‘Great Aston’ it is actually ‘Great Ayton’ . And although the Moors are (mainly )in North Yorkshire their proper name is the North York Moors .

I have lived in and around the Moors for decades and lovely as they are, there are not as many roads as a visitor might expect. On their day, they can be sublime, but the Yorkshire TT Stokesley/Helmsley road is popular with safety camera vans - as well as a minority of bikers who are certifiably insane…

I now live ten minutes from Sutton Bank and if I am looking for a drive for its own sake I drive via Ampleforth to Malton , through the Howardian Hills , and then I head South East across the Wolds. Fabulous roads, often very lightly trafficked and with good sightlines for maintaining brisk progress .
Stuff like Rosedale Chimney is great to say you’ve done it but that’s it - give me some empty , flowing roads over the chalk upland which feels more like Wiltshire than Heartbeat Yorkshire …