Driving in Germany Black Forest for 2 weeks. Looking for tips on what to see

Hello all.

I’m heading to Germany this coming September to drive mostly around the Black Forest, staying in Strasborg, Munich before heading to Innsbruck then to Trento.

Most of my time will be spent in Germandy (Black Forest) so can anyone provide any tips regarding good driving routes, towns to stay in (Baden-Baden being one) but also to avoid any Clear Air Zones and subsequent fines.

This includes Lake Garda.

Triberg is a great place to visit, the home of the cuckoo clock and a visit to the waterfalls is a must. Good parking and several great places to stay.

1 Like

Thanks.
So Baden-Baden, Triberg, Dachau (historical reasons), Feldberg, and adding more as I search

2 Likes

If you get chance, visit Freiburg im Breisgau on edge of the forest but a beautiful place

3 Likes

Mrs Five-Three has been to Freiburg quite a few times (work) - it’s a pretty cool little city. As I remember, the road through the forest up to Titisee gets a bit funky in places.
Another place she and her friends really enjoy is Colmar, over the border in France.

2 Likes

If you venture into Chechia, try the beer bath in the cellars of Hotel U Sladka in Chodova Plana. Followed up by the massage upstairs. Strip off for the bath, curtains if you wish for privacy, drinking beer supplied as well as the aromatic bathing beer, then called to go upstairs in towel slippers and bathrobe.

Follow this by lunch in the caverns underneath Restaurace Stara Sladovna, a short drive away.

It is all owned by the brewery.

Best if you know somebody who has done it before and is fluent in localese. We were lucky to be taking a former resident around her old stamping grounds.

Both shown on Google maps.

1 Like

Thanks. From these recommendations I’ll stay local to the Black Forest with it’s hills and lakes to explore. I may pop to Innsbruck then Lake Garda before returning to Germany.
Please keep the suggestions coming.

We go to the Black forest quite a bit for driving holidays, there is the obvious Black forest high road, which is great but can be busy at times, there are no end of great driving roads. We usually stay near Simonswald and I can recommend the road up to Kandel (it’s the L186) there is a viewing point which is worth a walk up to, and there are often para gliders taking off. If you want places to visit, there is the Schlumpf museum Musée National de l’Automobile à Mulhouse - Collection Schlumpf (musee-automobile.fr) just over the border in France, it’s a good day out if you like historic cars.
In Schramberg there is a model railway museum Black Forest model railway (tourism-bw.com) plus a small car museum and a museum of general life in the region.
We have been to the Rhine falls several times Home - offical Website of the Rhine Falls (rheinfall.ch) We usually use it as part of a run down the B500(Black forest high road)
If you are planning on going to Innsbruck I can recommend using the Deutch alpenstrasse German Alpine Road - Panoramic tour from Lake Constance to Königssee (deutsche-alpenstrasse.de) and if you do that the Zeppelin museum Zeppelin Museum Friedrichshafen - Technik und Kunst (zeppelin-museum.de) is worth a look, we have parked the cars at Hagnau am Bodensee and taken the ferry down to Fredrichshafen along Lake Constance before.

3 Likes

make sure you do the b500 from baden baden down to friburg, also continues down to the swiss border. brilliant road! :smiley:

1 Like

Many thanks. The area also looka quite nice for tent camping at dedicated camp spots. Has anyone camped in the forest as a alternative to hotels or hostels?

If your interested in WW2 history

Following - we’re also going to the Black Forest in early September!

Watch out for speed cameras, the local police have clamped down a lot in recent years, especially on the B500. You will see cameras at the start and along this route but you may not recognise them – they are grey in colour and look like an English post box. They are nestled in the trees, so keep an eye out for them.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.