DTC P0661 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Control Circuit Low (Bank 1)

Car is a 59 plate Mk 3.5 2.0 Sport Tech PRHT.

Cleared the above DTC as I was unsure of when it was logged. The car had one run out last week and the same DTC has returned.

A search on this forum for P0661 doesn’t provide any hits (that I can find, at any rate). There are a couple of references on other forums re MX-5s, but nothing definitive.

Have looked at the Air Intake System PDF (as previously downloaded from the Mellens website) and was very quickly out of my depth when reading the diagnostic stuff…

Has anyone else come across this fault code?

I got it up as a manifold tuning valve

Have a look at youtube : (mazda) PO661 IMTVC Circuit Low

To update: acquired a replacement solenoid for £6 from Amazon. Removed both solenoids and cleaned the loom connectors with contact cleaner. Tossed a coin and swapped out one of the solenoids with the replacement. Cleared the DTC.

After a quick run out at the weekend and my wife’s commute to work today, no DTC has been logged.

Will put this down as a provisional succes. Cause was either a dodgy connection or I got my 50-50 choice correct at the first attempt and swapped out the failing solenoid.

Thanks for posting this. I also have a 59 plate 2.0 sport tech and am getting exactly the same fault code. Was a replacement solenoid the solution after all?

I’ve had this error code pop up today on the car. Not been used for a few months but rather than risk it I thought I’d pick up a spare solenoid.

Where is it located in the engine bay before I start poking around? Left hand side by the manifold I presume?

Thanks!